2014 breeding season begins, post your results

LOL, my teacher chicken had done admirably for the last few months but he/she is now sprouting like a bean, and it's time for change... The job has been handed off to a Guinea keet as of this week...
And thats why i change the teachers every two weeks
wink.png
, but these chicks will complete their job for the next 3 weeks cause i don't have any eggs in the incubator.

I need some help and advice. I have tried for 3 years to hatch peafowl in an incubator because my hen would not sit. I only had success with 2 chicks. Last month my peacock , who had already shed his train, died suddenly and we only had one peahen so we let her out of the pen for the first time so she could free range with the chicken rather than be alone. This morning I noticed she was sitting far from the others near the woods and watched us but didn't come near. Tonight she was still in the same spot so I thought she might be hurt. We went up to her and she kind of hissed at me, but I tried to pick her up anyway, but she jumped out of my reach and low and behold she was sitting on 5 peafowl eggs. We moved away and took food and water near her and left her be. She never tried to do this before and hasn't even laid an egg since April. Now without a peacock these can't be fertile. Do we just leave her where she is or try to move the eggs to her pen? It is so hot for her to sit for weeks on infertile eggs.

I have fertile eggs!!!! :) she's laid about 24....which is a lot for a 2 yr old I think...but 3 are developing. I'm not surprised by that number considering how many times I see my male try and miss lol!
My hen tried sitting but gave up after 3 days...this is her 2nd clutch.

I have fertile eggs!!!!
smile.png
she's laid about 24....which is a lot for a 2 yr old I think...but 3 are developing. I'm not surprised by that number considering how many times I see my male try and miss lol!
My hen tried sitting but gave up after 3 days...this is her 2nd clutch.
Congrats!

-Kathy

I'm about to set five eggs from my 2 year old hens that are now back in with their 1 and 2 year old brother. Maybe I'll get another white one!

-Kathy

New pics:

Splading bronze, 7 weeks old:

Bronze BS, 7 weeks old:

Spalding pied split bronze, 4 weeks old:

With his little brother:

Bonze silver pied, 6 weeks old, 4 weeks old and 2 weeks old:

This chick from Opal BS SP pen, could be white could be silver pied:

Finally our teachers
big_smile.png

Nice!
love.gif