2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
frow.gif

I just finished my last hatch of the season, so I will have to live vicariously through you guys
thumbsup.gif

K I do have a phone with a light.

Unless your eggs are dark green or dark brown, most cell phone LEDs are bright enough to help.

Either wait until dark, or find a room or closet you can darken completely.

Hold the egg with the large end, which contains the air cell, up. This isn't mandatory, but it makes it easier to hold the light and see what is going on inside the egg.

Turn the flashlight on, and darken the room. Hold the light right to the air cell at the top of the egg. If light shines out around it, you may want to find a little o-ring or something to seal up the gap.

As early as 3 days, but certainly by 10 days, you should be able to see blood vessels and a developing embryo. Starting at 10-14 days, movement will be clearly visible. By day 18 for chickens, the egg should look nearly full other than the air cell, and the air cell should be a lot bigger than it was when you started incubating.

If you incubate a lot, you will probably want to build a one-hand candler with a can or box and lightbulb or flashlight and cushion.

Unless your eggs are dark green or dark brown, most cell phone LEDs are bright enough to help.

Hold the egg with the large end, which contains the air cell, up. This isn't mandatory, but it makes it easier to hold the light and see what is going on inside the egg.

Turn the flashlight on, and darken the room. Hold the light right to the air cell at the top of the egg. If light shines out around it, you may want to find a little o-ring or something to seal up the gap.

As early as 3 days, but certainly by 10 days, you should be able to see blood vessels and a developing embryo. Starting at 10-14 days, movement will be clearly visible. By day 18 for chickens, the egg should look nearly full other than the air cell, and the air cell should be a lot bigger than it was when you started incubating.

If you incubate a lot, you will probably want to build a one-hand candler with a can or box and lightbulb or flashlight and cushion.

Thanks a lot!

This is what to look for:

These are ingenious! And I do have a similar flashlight to the 3000 lumen one :) But I love the microphone stand idea.
Its great for marking air cells, I only mark at lockdown anymore but its sure to be an extra hand..... yea yea SC I know <> ;)

joke-clipart-0511-0702-2316-3522_Comedian_Talking_While_Holding_a_Chicken_and_a_Microphone_clipart_image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom