2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought I was catching up with posts yesterday. Started a reply to all and lost it :( Had one of those crazy out of the blue GI attacks and off to bed with a cocktail. DH (I didn't tell him, he's a sweetheart) let the temps fall to app 97 overnight but am hoping it wont harm them..............................

Can someone explain the contest to me .............I'm lost..............nothing new lately LOL

Bator temps: still air 101/humidity app 35%
forced air: 99 lockdown 65-75 hatch

The thing that gets me most: fat abs and slow to run around upright on the last batch that had been exposed to the higher humidity early on. Next hatches pretty much dry @ 35% so fingers are crossed. A heater is in the room to keep brooder and bators level. We go from 40s to upper 80s daytime........

I love reading all the posts, seeing the photos!
Next on the list is a cooler bator like Sally and her DH made. I was going to make my first homemade one out of my cooler but couldnt quite part with it............odd attachment..........it was my best friend for years.............sat in my passenger seat in the truck and covered many miles LOL........miss my truck

Here's the last of the humidity challenged hatch a couple days ago:

no milk creates where a gift from God. The grocery store manager gave me a bunch of them I just came out of the hospital

I'm so happy you are OUT of the hospital!!!! Those places are crazy making :( Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
woot.gif

Next hatch due oct 21 . Maybe we will get something out of that batch. There in the little giant with turner.

Thanks for the tip. I'm focusing on LF right now, although my kids fell in love with every single bantam at the chicken show yesterday. We raise them for eggs and meat, so that's why we started with several large dual purpose breeds. Our winter dinners are growing out now, but our hatches have been proportionally more cockerels than we expected. Of the 36 birds that have started here we currently have 9 hens we're keeping. We've sold, processed and given away all of the others. If I don't get more brahmas now I can always go for more in the spring. The whole plan was to get to 10 hens that we want to keep. HA!

OMG Brahma for meaties, ughhh they eat too much and grow way to slow for me to be meatiesit takes almost 10+months to get an EGG at least from big sq brahma!!!!!
barnie.gif
you should try barred rocks or something!

I love these for great all around birds, they are my mixes love them too!!!
sexable at hatch too!

Light blue to green eggs and XL eggs too! Grow fast for meat birds!

I just thought I was catching up with posts yesterday. Started a reply to all and lost it :( Had one of those crazy out of the blue GI attacks and off to bed with a cocktail. DH (I didn't tell him, he's a sweetheart) let the temps fall to app 97 overnight but am hoping it wont harm them..............................

Can someone explain the contest to me .............I'm lost..............nothing new lately LOL

Bator temps: still air 101/humidity app 35%
forced air: 99 lockdown 65-75 hatch

The thing that gets me most: fat abs and slow to run around upright on the last batch that had been exposed to the higher humidity early on. Next hatches pretty much dry @ 35% so fingers are crossed. A heater is in the room to keep brooder and bators level. We go from 40s to upper 80s daytime........

I love reading all the posts, seeing the photos!
Next on the list is a cooler bator like Sally and her DH made. I was going to make my first homemade one out of my cooler but couldnt quite part with it............odd attachment..........it was my best friend for years.............sat in my passenger seat in the truck and covered many miles LOL........miss my truck

Here's the last of the humidity challenged hatch a couple days ago:
you just have to paint someones face and post images of what you created to win, the rules are in the contest thread!
you can do two faces!

what are the white chicks!!

OMG Brahma for meaties, ughhh they eat too much and grow way to slow for me to be meatiesit takes almost 10+months to get an EGG at least from big sq brahma!!!!! :barnie you should try barred rocks or something! I love these for great all around birds, they are my mixes love them too!!! sexable at hatch too! Light blue to green eggs and XL eggs too! Grow fast for meat birds!
Sally, I love them! I have one barred pullet. My flock has Orpingtons and Rocks and Marans. I managed to hatch a CCL pullet too. I like the size of the Brahma, but you're right they eat a lot and grow slow. My goal for the flock is sustainable hardy dual purpose. I'm hoping the Brahma in the mix helps with that. Is that crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom