2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

I have been having a problem with herniated navels. About six of 30 chicks in this batch, so far, have been like this. The umbilical cord will not detach and the chick will pull its gut out trying to get away from the shell. Once it dries the cord is very tough to break, almost like fishing line. Any ideas why this happens? This is the worst of the batch, I don't have much hope of this one surviving.

IMG_1291.JPG

Same peacock? I'm thinking it's genetic, nutrition or incubating. You certainly know how to incubate, so....

I appreciate that. It is not genetic as it is happening with different birds from different pens. I start my nutrition program in the fall when the eggs are being developed for the next hatching season and continue through the season.

I thought maybe it was the hatcher I was using and humidity so I have a different hatcher I am trying now. Perhaps it was too high of humidity in the old unit as it would run away high during hatch. The new one I am using kept it down between 45% and 60% and still have this issue.

I have consulted a few books but I can find nothing on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom