2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
I had one fertile egg last year that blew up in the incubator and six from a different hen that were all fertile this year. I incubated them all and 1 died early last week and three more just died this week. Is this normal in an incubator I was really excited about how well they were developing but just candeled them and they had died. The other two are pipping so I hope they make it out. Any tips for incubating next year so they don't die again and also what is best to feed the babies this will be my first time raising them. Thanks Hunter

A Medicated Game Bird Starter Feed, make sure the protein is at least 20%. My Medicated Game Bird Starter Feed is 28% protein though, I highly recommend that level of protein.

Finally got my first "intact" egg from Thora. She loves laying eggs from the rafters, this egg I had to catch right as it was going to fall. I went to do chores and she was on the rafters, she had her tail feathers up and her wings down and she kept lowering herself almost to the point she fall of the rafter and then down came the egg. It's not fertile for sure but I still felt like candling it.

It's missing the Black Spot of Life.

See the Black Spot of Life? If not there's another photo that's better. This was Sage's first egg when it was layed.

The Black Spot of Life

Finally got my first "intact" egg from Thora. She loves laying eggs from the rafters, this egg I had to catch right as it was going to fall. I went to do chores and she was on the rafters, she had her tail feathers up and her wings down and she kept lowering herself almost to the point she fall of the rafter and then down came the egg. It's not fertile for sure but I still felt like candling it.

It's missing the Black Spot of Life.

See the Black Spot of Life? If not there's another photo that's better. This was Sage's first egg when it was layed.

The Black Spot of Life

That black/dark spot is the air cell. I find those in fertile as well as unfertilized eggs. Once in a while, but very rarely I will find an egg that does not have one at all.

Once a guy working at big poultry company told me there is a machine they use it to tell the fertile eggs before sitting it, the egg will go inside it and if its fertile it will has tiny red dot, at this red dot can only seen with machine.

Don't know if this will work with peafowl too.

Not to be a pest, but we've got a lot of people looking at our Chick Chart these days!
thumbsup.gif

...so if you think of it, please do post (or send me) your chick pictures and updated pictures for the chart!

Quote:That's great, I saw some people yesterday talking about it on Facebook.

By the way, i noticed there are varieties don't have any pictures, you can use any picture on my website under the page **our peafowls**.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom