2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
Thank you,I guess I wasn't ment to have a white peafowl! I wanted one so bad but its to late this year to try again.I am not sure I want to try again.That was brutal! It made me think maybe I should give up hatching all together! I should have bought a cabnet bator instead of 3 of the 1588 genesis.
Don't beat yourself up, I think it's been a brutal year for many.
hugs.gif

Don't beat yourself up, I think it's been a brutal year for many.
hugs.gif

X2

Thank you,I guess I wasn't ment to have a white peafowl! I wanted one so bad but its to late this year to try again.I am not sure I want to try again.That was brutal! It made me think maybe I should give up hatching all together! I should have bought a cabnet bator instead of 3 of the 1588 genesis.

The variety of peafowl won't affect incubation. You have to learn what method works best for you. I rotate my eggs only twice a day by hand that way I can feel the progress of the chick developing. I use a Styrofoam incubator though I wish I had a Cabinet Incubator if I had enough birds to produce enough eggs to have one. Though I would not want the Automatic egg rotator in it, I just like rotating my eggs by hand. I had 8 eggs 5 hatched and one chick had a birth defect and died leaving me with 4 healthy peachicks and my hen had 5 eggs with only 4 hatching.
My incubator with 8 eggs

My peahen's nest with 5 eggs.

My 4 healthy chicks.

My peahen's nest with 4 eggs that show that chicks have hatched out

My peahen's 4 peachicks.
This was what was inside my eggs that didn't hatch.

Thank you Everyone! It's nice to have people that will help you when you find yourself in an incubating nightmare.
smile.png
Well on a good note my Ameraucanas had a good hatch 8 out of 10 from shipped eggs. There where 9 that hatched but one lavender died.They are a week old now.There are 6 black and 2 lavenders.

I havn't opened the other 3 eggs yet! They are in the bator still! I just don't want to risk there being a late one! In the morning I will check and open them.

I havn't opened the other 3 eggs yet! They are in the bator still! I just don't want to risk there being a late one! In the morning I will check and open them.

Candle them first and look for movement near the air cell. You can also do water candling and check for movement. If you've never done it, I can post directions. After you do that you can make a Small hole in the air cell and wet the membrane to see if the chick is alive.

Candle them first and look for movement near the air cell. You can also do water candling and check for movement. If you've never done it, I can post directions. After you do that you can make a Small hole in the air cell and wet the membrane to see if the chick is alive.

I candled them again and put a small hole! They where all fully developed in the egg and just died.

Hello All-

I am a new peafowl owner, sort of. Certainly new to hatching them. I got a male India Blue and a female Black Shoulder when they were roughly 2 months old in late June of 2013. So they are 2 years old. My hen laid eggs a couple of times back in June - but did it while she was up on her roost, so the eggs broke when they hit the ground 6' below. A few weeks later, she laid another egg - smash - and then laid 4 eggs while on the ground. I was very excited. I did not weigh them, but I put 1 under a broody chicken hen I had, and gave 3 to a friend who had a broody hen. I had little hope as I thought the parents might be a bit on the young side to have very good fertility.
I came home this evening to find that my pea egg has hatched and there is a beautiful yellow chick. I did not take a picture as it was getting dark and I didn't want to keep the chick out for long, but everything looked good. The other 3 eggs aren't due to hatch for another week or so.
I will try to take a picture tomorrow and post it. My husband thinks that having a cross like that is undesirable. Thoughts? Any comments on what color the chick might end up?
I have questions about how to raise this chick. Leave it under the hen? That is most likely what I will do, but I need to do some research about feed, medication, etc. I tried reading this thread, but it is so long! I will keep reading, though!

Back
Top Bottom