2016 Gosling Hatch-a-long

servpolice

Crowing
9 Years
Oct 10, 2013
Ireland
Hey everyone whats the craic! it's that time of year again for gosling's so prepare yourselves for cuteness and a heck load of information!

Hope everybody will have healthy and successful hatches with their geese and their incubators.
We have Hatchalongs every year and love seeing newcomers and beginners join us over the breeding season till the end of the year. And people not hatching eggs can tag along for the fun of it :D
There are a lot of people with experience with geese here on BYC so ask as many questions as you want which also includes questions about goose diseases,what sex geese you have and of course incubating questions etc.
Can't wait to see everybody's gosling's this year and hope you guys will learn a lot through this process.
Let the Hatch-a-long of 2016 BEGIN!

Last edited:
Update from snowy Utah. We have started working on our pens and should have our breeders separated in the next week or two. Getting ready to buy the genesis 1588 and should start seeing eggs in 2-3 weeks. Hope to set my first group of white African eggs before the end of the month, then do a round of buff dewlap eggs a few weeks later. I'm excited.
celebrate.gif

Hey miss Lydia and janet! Long time no talk! I went through some personal stuff last summer and as my geese, most of my birds actually. But I'm ready to start again! I've ordered an adult pair of Oregon mini frillback geese from holderreads. They should be here this month, so hoping they settle in and possibly may a few eggs. Hoping I can join in hatching with you all!
smile.png

Hi @JulieNKC great to see you back. Look forward to seeing your new geese.

Hey Julie! Great to see you again! Sorry to hear you had a bad summer, but look forward to chatting on this thread and seeing you build your flock back up again. Can't wait to see pics of your new pair of geese when you get them.

Here are my white Africans, enjoying the last few days of freedom before lockdown next week. I really feel bad about penning these guys (unlike my dewlaps who do not seem to care). If I didn't want to hatch a few of their babies I wouldn't bother. But if I don't get a lot of interest for their eggs, then it will be a very temporary situation for them.

Mire, just spritz the egg with water after 10 days. In nature, geese stay locked down on nest for the 1st couple of weeks, but then will take daily breaks that last longer as they get closer to hatching time. During their break, they will take a quick bath and return to nest while wet, then preen themselves standing over eggs, causing water to drip onto eggs before laying back down on eggs.

Paulla, hey friend. Good to see you again!

For a minute I thought my one Sebastopol egg quit but it is still plugging away. It only has a week or so left and its air cell is pathetically small. I still want to get more goose eggs but last week my emu eggs were ready ; )
The air sac noticeably increases rapidly in the last 3 days before pipping.
Before those 3 days it can be quite small so don't give up!

Back
Top Bottom