2016 Gosling Hatch-a-long

Here we go... 7 eggs as of today from our Chinese white and Tufted Roman pair ..

Last time I hatched was a few years ago so I'm reading the guide to goose hatching to familiarize myself with the process .. I am going with dry incubation until day 14 and then mist with water once a day. Hand turning 3x a day. She should be laying again in the morning so I'll start with 8 eggs and maybe add one more Thursday. The oldest egg is 15 days, to old I'm sure but will try anyways. Plans changed, I thought I would let her brood but plans again changed so I'll be raising this bunch
celebrate.gif

Question: as you can see a few of the eggs are a bit dirty, should I wash them all??

I just rub the lose stuff off with a dry sponge before incubating

My oldest egg I put in the incubator was 16 days old and it was an experiment for me to see if it would hatch and it did but was the slowest hatch ever ;)

My oldest egg I put in the incubator was 16 days old and it was an experiment for me to see if it would hatch and it did but was the slowest hatch ever ;)

Well they are in! Stabilized the temp zand were off.. waiting until it is back to temp then I'll breah a sigh and maybe be productive today :)

Boy, I really must stop trying to post from my phone, lol... I am hopeful that all the eggs are viable but hey, wont know unless I try :)

I had a shipment of four toulouse eggs get lost in the mail. It took 10 days to deliver and the box was a bit beat up on arrival. Factoring in time from laying until being shipped, the eggs were easily 2+ weeks old. Only 1 of 4 developed, but the one baby hatched out perfectly fine and timely. Most geese lay an average of 7-9 eggs before going broody, which means their eggs are up to 18 days old and it is not usual for a goose to hatch out a clutch of 7 babies.

*UPDATE I just sold my last goose pair. I must say I miss my original flock so much but it had to be done :( .
Now to start the African breeding program! And Buff Chinese whenever I get the chance finding white Chinese females.
Right now I've 12 geese altogether with one Embden female 5 brown African ganders 3 brown African geese 2 buff ganders and one buff goose. (hoping to get lots of buff goslings).
It's a new start in a way :D

*UPDATE on the embryo that was forming at the bottom of the yolk:
It's still forming on the bottom of the yolk but is forming perfectly so this egg is going to be a surprise :D
Tomorrow I'll find out how many of the 9 eggs I put in five days ago are fertile.
My Buff african started to brood on 3 of her eggs.
My brown african is brooding on 3 of her own and 2 of the other brown Africans(Barbara) eggs.
I must have a explosion of African goslings this year fingers crossed!

I had a shipment of four toulouse eggs get lost in the mail.  It took 10 days to deliver and the box was a bit beat up on arrival.  Factoring in time from laying until being shipped, the eggs were easily 2+ weeks old.  Only 1 of 4 developed, but the one baby hatched out perfectly fine and timely.  Most geese lay an average of 7-9 eggs before going broody, which means their eggs are up to 18 days old and it is not usual for a goose to hatch out a clutch of 7 babies. 

How's it going with collecting eggs? Did your white African geese lay eggs yet? Would love to see white African goslings for a change!

Serv, It's a sad story. I have only gotten one egg from my whites so far as I have a skunk beating me to the nest every day. We finally set up the trap tonight to try to catch the nasty bugger. I was planning to set eggs tomorrow night, but so far I only have the one white egg and 3 buff dewlap eggs set aside. Already planning to push back setting eggs to Friday, but looks like I will be doing a 2nd setting after I trap the skunk and can gather a at least a half dozen white eggs.

Serv, It's a sad story. I have only gotten one egg from my whites so far as I have a skunk beating me to the nest every day. We finally set up the trap tonight to try to catch the nasty bugger. I was planning to set eggs tomorrow night, but so far I only have the one white egg and 3 buff dewlap eggs set aside. Already planning to push back setting eggs to Friday, but looks like I will be doing a 2nd setting after I trap the skunk and can gather a at least a half dozen white eggs.
Good Luck!!!!!!! Just dont get sprayed!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom