2016 Gosling Hatch-a-long

Good news! and poor skunk haha
I'm see that problem too! It's in a very cold spot but once night hits and I wake up the temps are a degree or so down.
I'm seriously thinking that my eggs have been developing under 35 degrees Celsius :/
First batch of 10 eggs and 4 were infertile and one died due to lack of turning but temperature was definitely a problem too. Hopefully in a week we'll have my buff african goslings!

I can't wait to see your buff African goslings!

Perhaps you can move your bator to a warmer location in your house? Hubby suggested I move bator to guest bathroom for more stability. So, I slipped my solo developing buff dewlap egg under my broody today (it's her egg, coincidentally) and moved the bator. So far, it seems better. Will set new eggs this evening. I have three white African and 3 buff dewlap eggs for sure to set, but may throw a few more dewlap eggs in for good measure. Hope this round goes better than the first!

Skunk is gone so that stress is off your back atleast. You are excited to see the buffs but I'm excited to see your whites
1f602.png

The location the incubator usually is every year is taken and the there's too many eggs in the bator atm so I'll probably change locations when batch 2 hatches.
Incubating can be so stressful
1f60f.png

It's pied anyways so most likely its a Pomeranian or cross and the darker gosling definitely has tuft! You can see it in the video :L

I have no idea, but thanks all of you for your nice words.

A tuft, a tuft? Is that the thing on his head? We call him punkie or: the monk. I thought all the geese here were Toulouse. They call them grey geese (Les oies grises). They're all X-something, I think .

They're growing very very fast indeed!

vimeo_logo.png

Thanks!

Elise

So far, the bator move is going great. My temps are where they should be and it is staying stable. On Saturday night, I set 4 eggs from my best buff dewlap pair, 3 white African eggs, 1 egg from my best grey dewlap pair, and 1 egg from a 2nd buff dewlap pair. I collected another white African egg yesterday and fingers crossed there will be another egg to collect today.

It has been the strangest year for me. My geese started laying late and are going broody early. I now have 3 geese that have gone broody with more soon to follow, even though they have only laid 10-12 eggs each, and I've taken all but 1 egg from their nests.
hu.gif

Geese know your taking their eggs Iain ;)
My buff female is out of her breeding pen and has four eggs in her nest and I'm delighted but fertility is the problem.
My brown is brooding since 21st of March. And my other brown (Barbara) has 3 eggs so far after me taking 12 of her eggs and her nest is getting full of her feather down which means she going broody too :D
Hope the fertility will be good with your buff toulouse and Africans!

7 days to go on my eggs in the incubator. They are developing very well. I've also got two nests with eggs in them. One that I am keeping 9 eggs in, I remove the oldest every time a new one is laid. The second has 5 in it so far. It had 6 but I removed this one today...

That's the largest goose egg I've ever seen and its beside Ethel's egg, she's about 6 yrs old or more. It's a double yolk like I had thought which is why I took it. If it hadn't been I would have put it in the bator and hatched Goz-zilla lol

I have some Cotton Patch goose eggs to set tomorrow. They all have loose and displaced air cells, despite the great packaging from the seller. I know the correct position for chicken eggs is with large end up, but with goose eggs it's different since they're too big to place that way in the incubator.

Has anyone hatched goose eggs with displaced air cells?

It's nature's way at the end of the day I always think ;)
Do keep us updated!

Well my Peking mama's doing a good job out of all my eggs I have two mixed surprises and one Sebastopol egg that remains sad but I'm thankful I have something the sabastopol is on day 16 and still kicking and the surprise eggs are on day 14 the only issue I'm having is she leaves the nest for long periods of time but it is hot hear in Florida so I just make sure they stay warm while she is gone. But so far they look very healthy and swimming around and happy as can be. Hopefully in ten days or so I should have a baby at least the start of hatch lol I'll keep u updated and thank you so much for your advice to stick them under my Peking duck it seems to be working thank you so much
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom