2017 Gosling Hatch a long!!

I got my geese last spring so this is the first year I'll get eggs. What kind of nest do they require? I do have a shelter made for them out of straw, open at the front and filled with straw. Since they won't sleep in it, preferring to brave the Montana elements, will this do for nesting? Do I need to add something in the shelter for a nest? Was thinking I could make a box out of wood that I fill with straw. I wonder if they will even use the shelter for nesting as they have ignored it so far. I do have my entire area surrounded by electric poultry netting to keep out the neighborhood fox.
My goose and ducks like to lay their eggs down in the bedding. So if you offer bedding [straw] shaving she may take you up on it. But if you have bushes and such in their area she may decide to nest there too. Just hard to know the mind of a goose once they begin breeding and laying.

Miss Lydia.. Hello! Thank you for your input on pen sizing for my geese.. I posted a pic, Sammy on left and Sally is on the right.. Sammy is a sweet heart and Sally a littl more standoffish. But she's coming around..

Miss Lydia.. Hello! Thank you for your input on pen sizing for my geese.. I posted a pic, Sammy on left and Sally is on the right.. Sammy is a sweet heart and Sally a littl more standoffish. But she's coming around..
They are beautiful Dewlap Toulouse.

Last edited:
My goose and ducks like to lay their eggs down in the bedding. So if you offer bedding [straw] shaving she may take you up on it. But if you have bushes and such in their area she may decide to nest there too. Just hard to know the mind of a goose once they begin breeding and laying.

Thank you. There are bushes in the area but they are lilacs, not a comfy place to have a nest. Hopefully they'll use the shelter with the straw. They are in charge.

Hi 8 Sam is doing great. Still follows Missy around like a puppy.  He'll be 10 yrs old this April gosh hard to believe.

How are all of yours doing.  Including your youngest lil duckling  ;)

Wow, 10! My oldest goose will be 6. The oldest one I raised will be 4, that's Stormy. Geese are all the feathered outdoor creatures I have right now.
The little "duck" just turned 2 in December. She's getting big, taller anyways. She shocked the Dr cause she measured 36" tall at her 2 year old check up lol

Wow, 10! My oldest goose will be 6. The oldest one I raised will be 4, that's Stormy. Geese are all the feathered outdoor creatures I have right now.
The little "duck" just turned 2 in December. She's getting big, taller anyways. She shocked the Dr cause she measured 36" tall at her 2 year old check up lol
2 oh my gosh hard to believe. 36" at 2 yrs gosh maybe she'll be a model. lol
Thinking of hatching out any more?

6 is a nice age too. It's amazing how long they live.

2 oh my gosh hard to believe. 36" at 2 yrs gosh maybe she'll be a model.   lol
  Thinking of hatching out any more? 

6 is a nice age too. It's amazing how long they live. 

I have friend who has a goose that will be 19 this year and is still laying eggs, that are fertile. They are huge look like Dino eggs lol.
More than likely I will hatch a few. I'm not sure they aren't already laying. They aren't using the coop & I haven't been able to find a nest anywhere.
I'm trying to cut back some more by rehoming a trio and a pair and keeping 4. Then maybe build up the flock again later. My 4 legged herd increased by 3 late last summer. Younger ones so I need time to ride & work with them.

I have friend who has a goose that will be 19 this year and is still laying eggs, that are fertile. They are huge look like Dino eggs lol.
More than likely I will hatch a few. I'm not sure they aren't already laying. They aren't using the coop & I haven't been able to find a nest anywhere.
I'm trying to cut back some more by rehoming a trio and a pair and keeping 4. Then maybe build up the flock again later. My 4 legged herd increased by 3 late last summer. Younger ones so I need time to ride & work with them.
19 gosh I hope mine live that long in good health.

Back
Top Bottom