2017 Zodiac Hatch-a-Long

I am in the southern hemisphere, so I am guessing next spring I aim for a broody hatch date that coincides with a growing / almost full moon?
I've read plenty about gardeners who plant by lunar cycles so figure there is something to all this, not knowledgeable but very curious. Any good links someone might suggest?

The first place I can send you is to a site to determine when the moon will be in the right phase and house in your area.
http://www.lunarium.co.uk/calendar/universal.jsp?location=Buenos Aires&ltt=-34.36&lgt=-58.27&tz=America/Argentina/Catamarca&dformat=UK&geoFormat=degMin

You can edit the location by clicking on the word edit on the right of the black location bar.

I'll look for other sources of information but the Farmer's Almanac has info on the concept.

Last edited:
Great thanks got the link. This looks like learning Chinese
ep.gif

However I want to learn so will try, please bless me twice for I do not know what these mansions, apogee, perigee thingy's mean...gotta read up some more.

ep.gif

However I want to learn so will try, please bless me twice for I do not know what these mansions, apogee, perigee thingy's mean...gotta read up some more.
Can't help with mansions...will also have to look that up.

apogee-time when the moon (or other orbiting body) is farthest away
perigee-time when the moon (or other orbiting body) is nearest

I remember by the prefixes:
apo is three letters and so is far
peri is four letters and so is near
Keep them straight by remembering this simple rule.

ep.gif

For our purposes, it doesn't have to be that complicated.
Find the time of the month after the New Moon but before the Full Moon. Then between those dates/times, cursor over the signs of the zodiac searching for pisces, scorpio or cancer. You want to hatch between the time the moon enters one of those signs but before it goes into the next sign. Then count back 21 days (exactly 3 weeks) for setting chicken eggs. For other species, adjust length accordingly.

Still just one chick out. I just saw 4 new pips in the last few hours. They still have about 2 1/2 hours to join us.
They're 5 hours past due.
I'm not taking this as an indictment on zodiac HAL because I'm still using a LG. I'm setting again on the 6th or 7th but not sure if I'll have one of my cabinets done by then since I'll be out of town till Monday.

Getting ready to set some more eggs here. On the last hatch I had 1/2 that hatched with the moon in Pisces but 1/2 were in Aries. I'm gonna try one more time, setting on the last possible night for a moon favorable hatch 3wks out...I swear, every other time I've hatched without paying attention to the moon, they hatch out a day early! If it doesn't work out this time, I guess I will just move the setting back a day & see what happens next:)

Can't help with mansions...will also have to look that up.

apogee-time when the moon (or other orbiting body) is farthest away
perigee-time when the moon (or other orbiting body) is nearest

I remember by the prefixes:
apo is three letters and so is far
peri is four letters and so is near
Keep them straight by remembering this simple rule.
if I am remembering right, the mansions are equivalent to Houses of the Zodiac. Aquarius, Capricorn, ect., ect.

I am working with Llewellyn Moon Sign Book. It is a tropical based almanac as opposed to a sidereal almanac. A tropical almanac is based on Aries being at 0 degrees at the equator. The sidereal is based on the position of fixed stars. Before we knew so much science we had to rely on the position of fixed stars, but fixed stars aren't really still. The Earth has a wobble that slowly changes the position of the stars. It is called progression. The astrological system has been used for about 5000 years now. It origins can be found in Sumer (the ancient civilization in the Tigris-Euphrates Valley where all the wars are going on now). The fixed stars have drifted about 23 degrees and the tropical system corrects for this drifts This difference is enough to put a date fertile date in the sidereal system into an infertile date by the tropical system.

Back
Top Bottom