22 chickens and 5 roosters

dewpetals

Chirping
Aug 29, 2022
North Alabama
I have a "Big Bird" Run that has all 9 Easter Eggers and 1 EE Rooster. They are in a 30 ft. Run with a rubbermaid coop.

I also have a mix of 8 other hens: Isa Brown's, Orpingtons and a Wyandotte mix. We are in the process of trying to integrate the 8 hens. They are from 2 to 7 months old in different coops at present. We havent decided which rooster to put with them but the roosters are all around 5-7 months. We have 4 to pick from🤦

The other 3 roosters will stay together in the "Bachelor Pad".

The EEs use 1 bar on their 4 bar roost and lay in 2 of the 4 nesting boxes. It seems like a lot of wasted space and I was wondering if it would be wise to divide that coop in 1/2? Have 2 seperate areas, each with its own door for the chickens. Then we would only need to build an extra run for the others.

What is your opinion/advice on this?
0915221034.jpg
0817221038a.jpg

I am estimating that coop to be at least 6 x 8 which should be enough room for 16 birds. I would just combine all of them together with one rooster. I too would add a bit more ventilation, but a lot depends on your climate.

Why do you want to keep them separate? How old are your roosters? How close are your neighbors? A pen of boys can make for a crowing contest.

Mrs K

I am estimating that coop to be at least 6 x 8 which should be enough room for 16 birds. I would just combine all of them together with one rooster. I too would add a bit more ventilation, but a lot depends on your climate.

Why do you want to keep them separate? How old are your roosters? How close are your neighbors? A pen of boys can make for a crowing contest.

Mrs K
The coop is 7x7.
Roosters are 6-7 months old.
We live in rural North Alabama so neighbors aren't a problem.

I actually started with a flock of Barnyard mixes which I thought were hens. Then I found some Easter Eggers and there were two Easter egg roosters with them. Those two sets were all together in same coop and run until I realized the Barnyard mixes were comprised of four roosters. So I ended up pulling the Barnyard mixes, which included the 2 isa brown hens out and putting them in their own run . That left the Easter Eggers in the big bird run and I built it up so that the Easter Egger rooster would have 10 Easter egger hens. I was just thinking that each set would have their own run and I'd be done. That was until I bought orpington babies and a wyandotte LOL it will likely be February before I can add the four baby orpingtons to any flock.

The four roosters are all starting to Crow one by one. We considered giving each rooster a few hens but I'm not sure that's a wise idea.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to combine all the hens with the Easter Egger rooster and then just keep the bachelor pad.

Mrs K
I second Mrs. K… I have 16 hens and one cockerel in my main coop/run and I have 6 cockerels in camp cockerel and they have a crowing match for at least an hour or two a day.

Back
Top Bottom