Which Roo should I keep with my hens?

ktipton82

Hatching
May 2, 2024
I currently have 6 hens and 3 Roo's. This is my first time raising chickens and I wasn't expecting so many roosters. One is black Jersey Giant that I purchased because he was a rooster. The other two I got from a straight run. One is a bantam silkie (supposed to be bantam but he is as big as my hens). And the other is a bantam mille fleure. I have 4 Isa Brown hens and 2 Rhode Island Red Hens. I am building a bachelor pad for my roo's, but am wondering which Rooster to keep in my flock with the ladies. My coop is big enough for 15 chickens so I will be adding more later, but I was worried the Jersey Giant might be too big for the ladies full grown? What do you think?

I currently have 6 hens and 3 Roo's. This is my first time raising chickens and I wasn't expecting so many roosters. One is black Jersey Giant that I purchased because he was a rooster. The other two I got from a straight run. One is a bantam silkie (supposed to be bantam but he is as big as my hens). And the other is a bantam mille fleure. I have 4 Isa Brown hens and 2 Rhode Island Red Hens. I am building a bachelor pad for my roo's, but am wondering which Rooster to keep in my flock with the ladies. My coop is big enough for 15 chickens so I will be adding more later, but I was worried the Jersey Giant might be too big for the ladies full grown? What do you think?
I'd pick the rooster that is nicest to you and the hens :).
Oh and :welcome! Nice to have you here!

I currently have 6 hens and 3 Roo's. This is my first time raising chickens and I wasn't expecting so many roosters. One is black Jersey Giant that I purchased because he was a rooster. The other two I got from a straight run. One is a bantam silkie (supposed to be bantam but he is as big as my hens). And the other is a bantam mille fleure. I have 4 Isa Brown hens and 2 Rhode Island Red Hens. I am building a bachelor pad for my roo's, but am wondering which Rooster to keep in my flock with the ladies.
What are your goals for that rooster? Why do you want one? If it is for breeding what do you want the chicks to be like? My goals and personal preferences don't matter to you or at least should not. What do you want out of him?

I agree behaviors can be extremely important. I won't keep a rooster that is a danger to me or others. How he treats the hens is also a good point. The problem in making the decision is that they can change as they mature or as you remove other males.

My coop is big enough for 15 chickens so I will be adding more later,
Why do you think your coop is big enough for 15 chickens? Most coop sellers that advertise what they can hold exaggerate dangerously. When I see someone say something like this it raises a red flag.

but I was worried the Jersey Giant might be too big for the ladies full grown? What do you think?
For your breeds I'd be OK with a Jersey Giant. When they mate the hen squats on the ground so the rooster's weight goes through her body into the ground, not just through her legs. That's nature's way of protecting the hens during mating.

It would depend on you goals.

In case you want to hatch from your flock and want the female offspring to be good layers, the Jersey Giant would be the one to keep although he might become too big for your hens causing injuries etc.

How much space do they all have coop and run included?
Will you let them free range at all?

As you are a first time chicken keeper I would recommend to rehome all the males and just enjoy the chicken experience while learning the ropes

Back
Top Bottom