250 watt brooder lamp

motorboat

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 31, 2012
I bought 6 chicks today. I bought a brooder lamp and a 250w red brooder lamp bulb. The lady at Tractor Supply said was fine and I could move it around if it got too hot. It's A LOT of heat. It has a clamp and I have it clamped on the side of a plastic tote. I got the idea for the tote here but the tote is not very big once you put that giant red lamp over it. Half the tote is bathed in red heat and the thermometer at the far end where all the heat is directed is exactly 94 degrees. Chicks are less than a week old. On the cooler end the temp is around 80 and they seem to sleep there.

They eat, drink and scratch around (and chirp LOUDLY!) with no panting or other signs of distress. I think I will make a tripod tomorrow and hang the light. I also am going to get a bigger tote, the biggest I can find to give them more room to move around and more cool spots if they need it. I gotta say I'm not sure this was a good idea. Time will tell. 250W seems like a lot of watts for a lamp but what do I know.

If you must criticize please do so in a respectful manner and offer up some ideas rather than just calling me a dummy.

Here's a pic.

To me, for that brooder size, I'd think it would be too much. I have a dozen bantam chicks in a brooder twice that size with only 125W, but they are also inside my house with an ambient temp around 65-70 degrees. Under the lamp easily reaches 90+, and the chicks mill in and out all day. Your chicks will tell you if they are too hot, staying away from the light, not snuggling, runny poops. Good luck with your new babies!

I bought 6 chicks today. I bought a brooder lamp and a 250w red brooder lamp bulb. The lady at Tractor Supply said was fine and I could move it around if it got too hot. It's A LOT of heat. It has a clamp and I have it clamped on the side of a plastic tote. I got the idea for the tote here but the tote is not very big once you put that giant red lamp over it. Half the tote is bathed in red heat and the thermometer at the far end where all the heat is directed is exactly 94 degrees. Chicks are less than a week old. On the cooler end the temp is around 80 and they seem to sleep there.

They eat, drink and scratch around (and chirp LOUDLY!) with no panting or other signs of distress. I think I will make a tripod tomorrow and hang the light. I also am going to get a bigger tote, the biggest I can find to give them more room to move around and more cool spots if they need it. I gotta say I'm not sure this was a good idea. Time will tell. 250W seems like a lot of watts for a lamp but what do I know.

If you must criticize please do so in a respectful manner and offer up some ideas rather than just calling me a dummy.

Here's a pic.

I have never used a 250 watt lamp in 26 brooders and raising 1000's and 1000's of chicks---I call them a chick killer in a small space like you got. Do like another poster on here----put a 40 watt incandescent bulb in its place---and drop the light down inside on one end of the tote to where the floor is about 95 degree's in the hottest place on that end only. Food and water on the other side. Your chicks will fair a lot better. Here is his pic. This is the way I do mine.

Last edited:
I put this together for now. 100W white light that I can easily adjust the height of. Right now it's 98. Ill raise it when I'm done posting.

I was afraid to use a white light. I thought it would keep them awake or something dumb like that.

I knew that 250W lamp was too much.

Crossing fingers they make it through the night. I'm sure they will. Like I said no signs of stress.

I put this together for now. 100W white light that I can easily adjust the height of. Right now it's 98. Ill raise it when I'm done posting.

I was afraid to use a white light. I thought it would keep them awake or something dumb like that.

I knew that 250W lamp was too much.

Crossing fingers they make it through the night. I'm sure they will. Like I said no signs of stress.

Did you check the temp on the floor under the light with a thermometer? Thinking you might have to lower it to get to around 95 degree's. If you have no thermometer tonight--- Are the chicks directly under the light---huddled together---if so they are to cold and it needs to be lowered. Keep in mind---its Not about the Light---its the Heat from the light that matters.

Last edited:
PDR, it's already too warm. I'd switch to a larger container so the opposite end can drop down to room temp.

Great!!! You did good. A bigger container was needed. I use about 40 or 60 watt bulbs mainly in this type brooder, but always making sure the height is set right for proper temp.

Last edited:
All is well. They are fine this morning. I want to get a better light bulb and a much bigger container. I have a 53W white light in there and to be honest it works fine but I would rather have a red bulb. Any recommendations on wattage and place to buy? thanks

All is well. They are fine this morning. I want to get a better light bulb and a much bigger container. I have a 53W white light in there and to be honest it works fine but I would rather have a red bulb. Any recommendations on wattage and place to buy? thanks

I do not see any around here except for the 250 watt ones. You can put a red one in a much bigger container----just on one end and if you will adjust the height for the proper floor temp it should work good. Why a red one?? Yea I have heard all kinds of stories about needing to use red---but none of those stories have ever been something I pay any attention to because I been using the white ones for a lot time with never a problem. I have 6 or more factory brooders that use heat strips but I have a lot that use bulbs. The 250 watt is a over kill in my opinion in a lot of set-ups plus they draw a lot of wattage in a month. One is not to bad but have some friends that were running a dozen or 14 for their grown chickens during the winter---their electric bill went up almost $300 higher---they cut them off.

I applaud your excellent instincts and problem solving. You did good.

There are other alternatives to heating with light bulbs if you are curious to explore them, such as the heating pad system and the wool hen. Both are more natural and don't carry any danger of over heating.

Back
Top Bottom