2nd time broody hen has hatched eggs.

BF Vince

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 19, 2016
Mossyrock, WA
My hen has been sitting on 15 eggs. They started to hatch. The first time a year ago, I was at work on hatch day and everything went smooth and she was a good mom. Maybe being home I am just too worried. Also it is May and still fairly cold in WA state and last time it was in hot August. Anyway I decided to check on her eggs on 22 day. There was 3 hatched and some cracked. Next afternoon checked and there was one dead squished baby and a squished in the egg baby which we took out of nest. Today I went out and there are 6 chicks outside the coop/nest in small fenced off area. Seems too cold out there in the dirt but she wont go back in the nest. There are still about 7 eggs in nest that haven't begin to even crack. One of her chicks seems to be weak and shivering and not going under her. She was such a good mommy last time. Not sure what to do about the weak looking chick or the eggs still in the nest

I put the shivering chick back with mom hen and hope for the best. The eggs I put on top of a plant heat mat with a suspended heating pad above them. I have a thermometer stuck in with eggs to make sure it doesnt get too hot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom