2Story Coop

alec120psi

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 22, 2013
I am considering a 2 story coop. I have limited ground space and was wanting to maximize the sq ft of coop. Has anyone had any experience with this? I have read that 4 sq ft of coop is best for each hen. Is that pretty accurate? Will be starting the build this weekend, should be fun.

Thanks in advance

Alec

I have a 2 story coop. I planned it so that my ducks could be on the first floor, and my chickens on the upper level. NO ONE uses the first floor! They all want to go 'upstairs', lol! I can block the downstairs, and use it for integration, etc., but other than that, it's hardly touched.

I was hoping I could do the 2 story thing to increase my sq ft of coop. Doesn't sound too promising.

Any other experiences. I have read in other threads that 4 sq ft/bird is not totally needed, especially in So. Cal. where the birds will only be sleeping and laying in the coop.

Any other opinions?

Thanks.

Alec

P.S. we will likely have around 10--12 birds when all is done, 2 of which will be bantams (Sizzles).

I was hoping I could do the 2 story thing to increase my sq ft of coop. Doesn't sound too promising.

Any other experiences. I have read in other threads that 4 sq ft/bird is not totally needed, especially in So. Cal. where the birds will only be sleeping and laying in the coop.

Any other opinions?

Thanks.

Alec

P.S. we will likely have around 10--12 birds when all is done, 2 of which will be bantams (Sizzles).

Yeah I have tried to make a shed coop two stories with a hutch inside it and the underside doesn't get used too much.

Here you go: for 12 birds, I have found that my 7 x 7 shed coop is about the right size for comfort and space for them. I have squeezed twice that amount in there when they were all bantams but for large fowl they need more space. They do walk around in there before the door opens, drinking water and eating. If you don't have enough roost space the bantams will get pecked.

Back
Top Bottom