New coop build, need help designing! (South Eastern Ontario)

palguire

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2024
Hey, I am new to the group but have been doing a lot of googling and this site always come up with all the info! I'm looking to build a 6x8 coop on an existing concrete pad but there is so much info out there that I'm hoping I can save going down some wrong paths by getting some advice. I'm wondering if anyone can rough up a plan that takes into consideration their experience?

Coop and area information:
  • I live in Ontario zone 5b.
  • Coop size: 6'x8' on a concrete pad.
  • # of chickens in the coop: We have about 18 eggs hatching which I know is pushing the sq ft. They are a barnyard blend of cold hardy birds. They may not all hatch which would be sad but help my coop spacing!
  • They will be free range.
  • I am considering an automatic door to allow them to have the most outdoor time!
  • Considering a lean to style roof, low side being on the W and high side on the east. I think this would help reduce the wind and the little bit of sun that does come would be from the east. Also thinking it's easier to roof it since I don't have to worry about a peak. the highest side being 7' since I have a bunch of old 2x4 that are 7'.
  • I would like the human door to be on the South side, since that will provide the easiest entry (I think) if I do fence it off. It does mean that the door will be on the closer to the east side since the south side is the angled side.
  • I will be adding lots of vents to the S, E, and N side and for the W side I think the only vents will be between the rafters.
  • since I'm pushing the sq ft per bird I was thinking on the N side about adding in a 2nd bird story. i.e. 4' above the ground adding a 3'x6' platform. In my head this would add to the sq ft of the coop????
  • For feeding, I am looking at doing the 4"PVC pipe feeders and for water using the rent-a-coop in a PVC pipe with a storage tank.
  • For simplicity I'm thinking hen houses inside not external ones.
I hope I'm not asking too much but it's so overwhelming looking at all the info and trying to figure out what will be easiest as well in the winder when it could get to -20C and colder with wind chill (avg -15C) and summers with July averaging 25c.

Thank you in advance
IMG_20240225_144206.jpg

In my head this would add to the sq ft of the coop????
No, not really.
You could sell extra pullets and eat extra cockerels.

but it's so overwhelming looking at all the info
It is indeed, like getting a sip of water out of a fire hose.
But ll the work now will make things go smoother down the road.
I suggest you get some graph paper and sketch out your ideas to scale.
you can post pics of them here for further advice/feedback.

On free ranging with an automatic door: With free ranging you WILL have predator attacks and more predators are out during the early morning. If I were to free range (I can't recommend it), I would build a run for the chickens to get fresh air in the early mornings then let them out to free range in late morning. The run is also very nice to have if you have a predator that keeps coming back for more and you need to confine the chickens for days. I recommend looking into cattle panel hoop runs for a budget-friendly, large, and safe run option.

On free ranging with an automatic door: With free ranging you WILL have predator attacks and more predators are out during the early morning. If I were to free range (I can't recommend it), I would build a run for the chickens to get fresh air in the early mornings then let them out to free range in late morning. The run is also very nice to have if you have a predator that keeps coming back for more and you need to confine the chickens for days. I recommend looking into cattle panel hoop runs for a budget-friendly, large, and safe run option.
We were thinking of having a large fenced in area. That was the initial plan but fencing is not cheap so that is why I was thinking free range. I like the idea of having a safe area for them in the morning. Might put a second auto door at the gate to let them out later in the day (timed no sun)

Glad to see that you are taking into consideration the west wind. I would have a good overhang on the west side for shade in the afternoon, and to help keep rain and snow out.

Chickens will all want to roost in the highest place, so adding a loft isn't really adding to the square footage.

I would have doors to the nest boxes on the outside, even if they are internal.

Okay, so I'm making a quick drawing and it actually looks very close to my old coop. If you were to add a run which side would it come off of? I can't see how much space you have next to the slab.
My run would be about 10' to the east, then maybe around 10' to the west, then it would be about 40 feet to the North from the coop. There is some existing fence or old post already in that size so I would need to add a few more posts then a better predator fence.
The red is my though on the chicken door, then the other line is the human door. the chicken door can go anywhere on the east or north side.
Possible Chicken run area.png

My run would be about 10' to the east, then maybe around 10' to the west, then it would be about 40 feet to the North from the coop. There is some existing fence or old post already in that size so I would need to add a few more posts then a better predator fence.
The red is my though on the chicken door, then the other line is the human door. the chicken door can go anywhere on the east or north side.
View attachment 3757829
You know what, my old coop design would be just about perfect for you. Here are some photos of my old coop in progress (don't use OSB like we did - it doesn't last!). It is 6x8 and has a long overhang on the back. The windows helped with summer ventilation and letting in natural light. It had about 8 square feet of ventilation just through the soffit vents, but more could be added above the door.

100_4111.JPG

100_4115.JPG

Back
Top Bottom