2x2s for roosting poles

Chicks in VA

Bantams are the bestšŸ‘šŸ˜
Mar 27, 2021
take a guess
2x4s seem way to big IMO , so I was wondering would 2x2s work, branches are going to be a major inconvenience for the way I want to do things , plus getting branches in the snow doesn't seem fun lolšŸ˜….

But can chickens grip/ sit on 2x2s comfortably?

Thanks!

2x4s seem way to big IMO , so I was wondering would 2x2s work, branches are going to be a major inconvenience for the way I want to do things , plus getting branches in the snow doesn't seem fun lolšŸ˜….

But can chickens grip/ sit on 2x2s comfortably?

Thanks!
Chickens generally seem able to sleep comfortably on a flat surface (like the wide side of a 2x4, or the flat plywood top of some nests) and also on a narrower surface (like the narrow side of a 2x4, which is the same width as a 2x2.)

2x4s are pretty common as roosts in chicken coops, and people tend to have strong opinions about whether they should be wide or narrow side up (both sides have reasons that sound sensible. Both sides can point to plenty of coops with healthy chickens sleeping on roosts made the "right" way, regardless of which way they consider "right.")

You can try more than one option, and see if the chickens consistently choose one or another. Or you can just choose which one you think makes sense, and not change it unless you see a problem with the chickens.

A lot of lumber yards have wood from pallets measuring nominal 2"x 3" (actually more like 1.75" x 2.5") by 4 feet long, with a groove along one of the wiider edges. They are often for free. Those might be just rigjht for roost poles. (I would use a plane and a sander to round the corners down a little.)
BTW, any suggestions on a way to fasten these down to make them easilly removable for sanitizing but still steady and secure?

I like 2x4s, rounded corners, wide side up. Seems very comfortable for them, and makes it easy for them to walk along the length of the board if they want. But that's what they sleep on in the secure run.

In the day run I have a couple of branches around 2" in diameter set up, leaning at about a 20 degree angle. They like those too.

A lot of lumber yards have wood from pallets measuring nominal 2"x 3" (actually more like 1.75" x 2.5") by 4 feet long, with a groove along one of the wiider edges. They are often for free. Those might be just rigjht for roost poles. (I would use a plane and a sander to round the corners down a little.)
BTW, any suggestions on a way to fasten these down to make them easilly removable for sanitizing but still steady and secure?
I drove two sections of 1/2" rebar into the ground about 7' apart. I drilled 1/2" holes most of the way through the underside of the 2x4 roost, spaced to match the position of the rebar posts. The 2x4 holes slip onto the rebar. The 2x4 is plenty solid for the chickens, and it can just be lifted off for cleaning.

Height? I drove the posts into the ground so the top of the 2x4 is about 18" above the ground. The chickens can easily jump up onto the roost. I'm not a fan of high chicken roosts. I think jumping down from a high roost could possibly cause foot damage, which could progress into bumblefoot.

Back
Top Bottom