Imprezznu

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2023
Belfair, Wa
We got 4 pullets from Wilco last Wednesday. 2 barred and 2 black sex links. We are first time chicken owners and just watched videos on how to sex the chicks by looking at their wings. We just looked and I think we ended up with 3 Roos…. 🤦🏼‍♀️ We wanted all hens and now only seems like we have 1!

Does anyone near Belfair/Bremerton Washington area want some baby Roos?! I can see how chicken math is a real thing 😬😅

Photos are (what I believe to be) the girl barred rock, followed by the boy barred rock and 2 boy black sex links. The girl has tail feathers and the boys don’t.

Again, at least from what I’ve seen for sexing them this way. If I’m wrong please let me know! We’d really like to not have all roosters and I hope I’m wrong 🤦🏼‍♀️

C267C636-A331-4B58-85CC-26BBF5FA7846.jpeg
4424B3E4-8082-4319-89DA-88949C410A56.jpeg
EF794B06-8FD6-4531-A885-E3BD4F1C5493.jpeg
4D4CC11F-E4A9-4C8E-8BD1-98E557FD7FF0.jpeg

If the Sexlinks are the last two, they're pullets. Sexlinks are sexlinked. If they were cockerels they'd have head spots. The others you will have to wait until they are 6-8 weeks old and post updated pics of combs.

Wing sexing ONLY works with certain crosses. A Barred Rock is a purebred. Wing sexing won't work. Some claim to be able to wing sex all chicks. Truth is it's 50/50 accuracy at best. That's the truth no matter what some people may claim.

Barred Rocks can sometimes be sexed by head spots. Only if they're bred for that trait though, and even then it's only around 80% accurate. If I was sexing by head spot, you've got pullets.

Please post updated pics showing combs and wattles, at 6 weeks.

Welcome to BYC!

If the Sexlinks are the last two, they're pullets. Sexlinks are sexlinked. If they were cockerels they'd have head spots. The others you will have to wait until they are 6-8 weeks old and post updated pics of combs.

Wing sexing ONLY works with certain crosses. A Barred Rock is a purebred. Wing sexing won't work. Some claim to be able to wing sex all chicks. Truth is it's 50/50 accuracy at best. That's the truth no matter what some people may claim.

Barred Rocks can sometimes be sexed by head spots. Only if they're bred for that trait though, and even then it's only around 80% accurate. If I was sexing by head spot, you've got pullets.

Please post updated pics showing combs and wattles, at 6 weeks.

Welcome to BYC!
Thank you so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom