Chick/Chicken Newbies

ejohnson2077

Hatching
Mar 5, 2024
Lots of questions here so apologies in advance but appreciate any insight.
We moved into a new home that has a coop. Coop has been empty for over a year but was left pretty dirty from previous owners.
We are interested in and have been researching starting our own flock and utilizing the coop that is already onsite.
1. Recommendations for best ways/products to sanitize?
2. The coop has 3 nest boxes, is this sufficient for 6 hens?
3. Although outside city limits, unincorporated still follows town laws allowing only 6 hens and no roos. We live in northwest Illinois, can 6 hens keep warm enough in our climate with each other & artificial heat in the winter, such a a cozy coop radiant heater? Or is that too few and they will freeze?

Additionally, because we have a ton of predatory birds, we’d like to stay with darker/black hens like black sex link (primarily for the sex guarantee) but are also interested in black australorps or marans. From what I’ve found those birds should do alright in Midwest summers & winters as long as provided with the proper shade/cooling/vents & heat/insulation. Is this accurate? The current coop is not currently insulated, recommendations for insulating a coop?

And lastly, I’m terrified to get a roo because we’d have to rehome him. Recommendations for rehoming if this accidentally happens?

Again, apologies for the lengthy post but appreciate any insight! Just want to be as successful as possible.

Last edited:
Photos of the coop inside and out would help for starters.

1. I don't sanitize. If the coop has been sitting empty for a year it is very unlikely anything has survived through that period.

2. 3 nests are plenty for 6 hens.

3. Hens keep themselves warm, they don't rely on extra birds to raise the ambient temperature. It's generally recommended that you do NOT add additional heat unless temps drop well below freezing for periods of time (-10F or so) because of risk of fire plus risk of shock if the heat source should fail for any reason. Insulation can be eaten or nested in by rodents, so that's also something you need to weigh pros/cons on.

As far as rehoming roos, I don't know what options are available in your area. For me, we have local feed stores and farms that will accept free roosters for BBQ or resale, so that'd be my first choice, but I don't know if you have similar programs there.

Back
Top Bottom