3 chickens killed today :(

chicsrule23

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2017
Gladstone, MI
I've had my chickens for over a year. Today in broad daylight 3 of the 6 were killed. I only see the feathers and after inspecting the yard I see something scraped under the fence. My heart is broken, they were the sweetest birds. I put up a camera because I assume
Whatever it is will be back. The girls are in
Their coop at night. What animal normally hints during the day. I know I can't let the others out now. Any suggestions? Thank You

I've had my chickens for over a year. Today in broad daylight 3 of the 6 were killed. I only see the feathers and after inspecting the yard I see something scraped under the fence. My heart is broken, they were the sweetest birds. I put up a camera because I assume
Whatever it is will be back. The girls are in
Their coop at night. What animal normally hints during the day. I know I can't let the others out now. Any suggestions? Thank You

Probably a fox. Dogs usually kill and leave it.

Thank You for your response.
1f625.png

Thank you for the information. Sounds to me like a fox from the descriptions. I hate the fact that it will be coming back. Thanks for the information I really appreciate it.
1f625.png

Hi
I'm new to this site but not new to owning chickens. I had Banties when I was a teenager and have owned different types of chickens ever since. I'm 50 ISH or so, so that's quite a number of chickens I've had. The last ones were all grabbed close to the house by a fox. I know how maddening it is to lose to predators. The next batch of chickens I get will have guardian animals to help protect them.

G’Day from down under chicsrule23
frow.gif
Welcome!

I am so very sorry to hear of you devastating loss
hugs.gif
I have not lost any of my girls to a predator [touch wood] but it is definitely a fear I have; to walk out to such carnage would be heart breaking.

Probably a fox. Dogs usually kill and leave it.

Greetings from Kansas, chicsrule23, and :welcome! Happy you joined our community but sorry for your three lost birds. Here a link from the Learning Center about predators...it describes how various predators operate, method of kill, etc. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-predators-pests-how-to-protect-treat-your-flock
Hope you get the culprit dealt with. Best wishes and good luck to you! :)

Back
Top Bottom