3 day old chick struggling to walk

aepowell

Chirping
Feb 18, 2020
I have a 3 day old chick whose feet are giving it some trouble. This chick came out of our incubator. I thought it might be wry neck at first and she has improved a little since I started giving her vitamins. She used to not be able to hold herself up at all. Now she's a little wobbly, but can sit up. Not really stand though, or walk.

When I pick her up, her toes are bunched together instead of straight. I've had her in tape booties, but it seems to me like her left leg works better than the right one. The right toes spread out more than the left, but the right leg seems to angle inward and she trips on it with her other foot.

I'm hoping there is more I can do for her, or if I keep giving her vitamins and keep her in her booties she'll eventually get better, but thought I'd reach out and see if anyone knows better than I do what might be going on and if I'm likely to succeed in helping her.

I'm

Attachments

• 20230426_150733.jpg
    20230426_150733.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 25
I have a 3 day old chick whose feet are giving it some trouble. This chick came out of our incubator. I thought it might be wry neck at first and she has improved a little since I started giving her vitamins. She used to not be able to hold herself up at all. Now she's a little wobbly, but can sit up. Not really stand though, or walk.

When I pick her up, her toes are bunched together instead of straight. I've had her in tape booties, but it seems to me like her left leg works better than the right one. The right toes spread out more than the left, but the right leg seems to angle inward and she trips on it with her other foot.

I'm hoping there is more I can do for her, or if I keep giving her vitamins and keep her in her booties she'll eventually get better, but thought I'd reach out and see if anyone knows better than I do what might be going on and if I'm likely to succeed in helping her.

I'm
What kind of vitamins are you giving her? Is she eating/drinking/pooping well?

What kind of vitamins are you giving her? Is she eating/drinking/pooping well?
I haven't seen her eat anything, but she'll drink water if I dip her beak in it. I haven't seen her try to drink on her own though.

I have rooster booster in their water. I also gave her a tiny amount of Selenium/vit E paste on day 1.

An update for this afternoon. I put her in cardboard booties overnight and in a separate cardboard box so I could prop her body up since she's pretty much just lies down all the time. I took the booties off and her toes look better, but she doesn't seem to be able to hold her weight on her feet. Or stand on her toes. She just waddles around on her legs like she's sitting and scooting herself around.

Do you have nutri drench? Can you give her raw yolk? Dip your finger in it and then put it to her beak and watch her drink, do the same with nutri drench, keep trying to feed her and keep her hydrated.

Have you tried apple cider vinegar (organic, with the mother) in her water? I use homeopathic remedies for my chickens. I would be giving her Cinchona officianalis (often called China) in her water in a 6c potency, and I'd put some of Silica 6x (some spell it Silicea) cell salt in her water as well. You can order those from Washington Homeopathics in West Virginia or Hahnemann Labs in California. The raw egg yolk is a great suggestion, too.

Do you have nutri drench? Can you give her raw yolk? Dip your finger in it and then put it to her beak and watch her drink, do the same with nutri drench, keep trying to feed her and keep her hydrated.
I don't have nutri drench, but I can get some. I'll try the raw yolk. Thanks!

Have you tried apple cider vinegar (organic, with the mother) in her water? I use homeopathic remedies for my chickens. I would be giving her Cinchona officianalis (often called China) in her water in a 6c potency, and I'd put some of Silica 6x (some spell it Silicea) cell salt in her water as well. You can order those from Washington Homeopathics in West Virginia or Hahnemann Labs in California. The raw egg yolk is a great suggestion, too.
Thanks, I will look for those items. I like to use homeopathic as well.

What does silica and China do?

Back
Top Bottom