3 day old chick walking on hock

Gemma10

Hatching
May 21, 2023
We hatched some chicks in our education setting. One of them was a little later hatching and needed help... he had curled toes on 1 leg which seems to have resolved with taping it... but he's walking on his hock on the other leg... it was swollen yesterday so a trip to the vet was required and he's now on antibiotics and anti inflammatory... but she didn't seem to know why he was walking on his hock there's no obvious fracture and when I said about a slipped tendon she didn't seem to know it was a thing in chicks... I've Googled lots... the swelling has almost gone this morning but still no improvement with the position of his leg... he's bright and chirpy eating and drinking and pooping lots... don't want to give up on the little guy whilst he's showing so much fight... I did try splinting it but not sure if that caused the swelling... it didn't seem tight I could move it I tried a little chair but just seemed to make the other leg weaker. Sorry for the long post never had chicks before x

Would it be worth splinting his leg or just see how he goes with the vitamins... he holds it high up and is desperately trying to walk... he's also starting to loose interest in food but still getting him to take water... any suggestions to help getting him to eat?
I've tried to mush his food with water and tried some egg yolk.

16846964634146265751716868021562.jpg

Hes using it to scratch and seems to have good strength in it just can't get it straight

Back
Top Bottom