3 day old chick with prolapsed umbilicus/hernia?

Overnight the sack hanging got longer. I think he didnā€™t sleep much because he was standing. This morning I syringed some egg yolk and he got some water with booster. The abdomen is flat now. All yolk has been used up. There is no swelling or water accumulated in it.

The sack hanging started to bleed a bit. I made a warm bed and chickie fell asleep. I really thought he was going to die but now he got up and standing again.

I am wondering if I should tie off that hanging mass to let it dry off sooner. If that helps or not I donā€™t know but since he is not looking like he is dropping dead soon, maybe there is still something I can try.

Technically he shouldnā€™t be living.
He got hatched in -22C and the hen left the nest when he was still wet. My son found him in time and he didnā€™t freeze to death.
Then the hen trampled him and he was limp and not breathing. I brought him back to life with cpr.
Now this thing hanging out of his abdomen is at risk of infection on day 5.
He sure gets the short end of the stick in his tiny life.
If he survives this he will need a name.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 12
At this stage, I'm not sure if you need to tie that off or not. It has blood flow, so it's not just the yolk sac. Intestines may be inclined there too.
Is the chick eating/drinking/pooping?

Having been stepped on, then likely there was a rupture. Hard to know what you should do. Keep the tissue moist with your ointment. You can use Polysporin if that's what you have.

I am just going to finish this thread.

The little chickie finally laid down on the heat pad and slept there. It woke once and stood up all afternoon but didnā€™t eat.
In the evening it was down and it passed away shortly after. I could tell from the spasm in the legs that he was on his way out.
He died on the 5th day.

That evening I delivered the single chicken that was left, to another flock that hatched at the same time. This one was kept with a premature looking tiny chicken and he is going to become part of their flock, not for sale.

Thanks to all the responses.

I never want to hatch again unless I use proper eggs, and only when I can work from home. It really is like having a baby. You wait, watch, listen, you worry and donā€™t sleep and you are ready to help and take care of them. It is overwhelming.

Back
Top Bottom