3 day old sick chick please help!

brunchisyum

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2015
Hello! I need some help! First time chicken owner and I have 10 chicks. I have a total of 10 and 9 are doing swimmingly. The 10th guy is not doing so well. I picked up sicky and 6 others on Friday afternoon from a feed store as a day old chick. Those 7 were all vaccinated. All chicks have been getting medicated chick feed. I thought she had been doing well but perhaps she had been bit lethargic before today but I wrote it off as just sleepy chicky.
This evening I went down to check on on the chickies and saw sicky was the only one sleeping, somewhere near the lamp but not directly underneath it. I thought it was odd and poked at her a little. She didn't really move at all. I realized she was sick and picked her up- she did't chirp or seem annoyed with being picked up at all. In fact I could lay her o her back in my hand and she just looked sleepy. She pooped in my and and it was extremely runny. I'm new to chickens but have been pooped on in the last couple days- this seemed runnier.
I have been hand feeding her some sugar water but she is not eating. I segregated her in the brooder and started looking things up online. A few minutes later I heard her chirping loudly. She seemed almost normal until she tried to walk. I noticed that half of her body wasn't really working resulting in her taking a step then kind of just falling over. I picked her up and she seemed cold- Ive been holding her under the lamp and giving her water with my fingers. She pooped again- almost completely liquid. When she is under the lamp and really warm she seems to liven up a bit and chirps and tries to make a half hearted effort to run for it. During these attempts both legs seem to work but then the same one seems to go limp moments later.
A few minuts ago it seemed like she was throwing up. Do chickens throw up? It was a long string of liquid that seemed to hold together- kinda like a loogie- so i know it wasn't me spilling sugar water.
Hubby just got home with pedialyte and a dropper so giving her some of that now.
any help appreciated!

UPDATE- Pedialyte seemed to help she took a couple steps and even pecked at her food (just twice) I ran to boil her an egg and have given her the yolk- she doesn't seem to be eating it and seemes to regressed in the time that it took me to boil the egg (and wash some dishes)

Picture was when i first realized she was doing well :(

Are you feeding medicated chick starter? Get some Corid for treating coccicidosis. 2 tbl spoons in a gallon of water. Mix fresh daily. For 5 days.
search coccicidosis In the BYC search. Good luck withyour chicks.

Yes, they have medicated feed as i indicated above. They also were vaccinated against coccicidosis. No blood in the diarehea- do you think that is what it is though?

Not improving :(
Here she is splayed out in her secgion of ghe brooder. It's been 3 hours since the first photo was taken/

I am so sorry. I know it hurts to see them go. We get attached to them so fast. Many hugs
hugs.gif

Marie

Back
Top Bottom