3 dead guineas in a week!?

The turkeys were the best conclusion we could come up with, give that I had checked everyone for worms within the last month, except the guineas (stupid me), and everyone had a very low worm load. The guineas are the only ones that go out where the turkeys are, so that was why we figured it must me from them, but it is quite possible they picked it up from somewhere else. I hadn't dewormed the guineas previously because I only like to worm after having a fecal check and confirming that there is a reason to use dewormer rather than doing it on a scheduled basis.

The turkeys were the best conclusion we could come up with, give that I had checked everyone for worms within the last month, except the guineas (stupid me), and everyone had a very low worm load. The guineas are the only ones that go out where the turkeys are, so that was why we figured it must me from them, but it is quite possible they picked it up from somewhere else. I hadn't dewormed the guineas previously because I only like to worm after having a fecal check and confirming that there is a reason to use dewormer rather than doing it on a scheduled basis.

I'm with you on not prophylactically deworming, as it can build resistance in the parasite population.

Back
Top Bottom