3 dead hens and 1 on the way!!!

Lyd

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 14, 2009
We are having a problem with our chickens, we have about 20 hens 3 roosters and 5 guineas. We keep them up at night and let them out about 2 hours daily and out on weekends. It seems they are slowly dieing 1 a week. We put apple cider viniger in their water and feed them bought corn and grain. They are laying good and all seem fine. We found 3 dead under where they pearch for the night. The next victim is a nice plump hen, she is walking around in a daze and will not get on the perch. We noticed her this evening, this is the first sick one we have seen, the others we just found dead. The weather here is cold and hot but the next few days will be in the 30's dipping down into the teens. We have had lots of rain for the last month or two and warm temps. Thanks for any help or input! They are all young chickens, been laying about two months maybe a little longer. Also we found no markings on the dead hens no blood or bites.

Sorry you're having these problems. It's so perplexing isn't it? Well, first of all, you need to bring the one sick hen in the house and put her in a warm, quiet place. Warmth is extremely important when chickens get sick, especially in this weather. Next, hold her back or chest up to your ear and see if you hear any crackling or wheezing noises when she breaths. Check her nose and eyes for discharge. These are all indications that she might have a respiratory illness. Perhaps the others had it but you didn't notice?? Hopefully, somebody will come here with more advice on what to do. By the way, these chickens should be on layer pellets or crumble. It's okay to give them some scratch in the evening as it helps them stay warm in the night. Is your coop draft free? I hope everything turns out okay.
sad.png

P.S. Welcome to BYC!! You'll learn so much here. People are very friendly and helpful.

Last edited:
If this bird passes also, you should consider a necropsy. You can find out what is killing them and maybe save the rest.

Yes, contact your county extension agent. Its free to have them tested (postmortem) in many states, especially those with large poultry industries. In the rest, its normally done for a very reasonable fee ..... much less than a vet would charge since he/she will probably charge you to listen to your plight and then send them to the same lab as the extension agent.

I agree with the others. There is a County Extension finder on the FAQ page somewhere, I believe.

Are you free feeding them layer's pellets? They may be suffering from a vitamin or protein deficiency. Corn does not provide complete nutrition, even though they love it.

If you can get out to a feed store and buy some Avia Charge 2000 vitamins you can try that. If it is not available, you can add a few drops of liquid Polyvisol for infants to their water.

If she makes it through the night, try feeding her some cool scrambled eggs, and see if she is drinking water and pooping normally.

Good Luck.

Now, I am unsure of the exact reason why, but that apple cider vinegar, is that in a galvinized waterer? The vinegar leaches something out of the metal, I am unsure of what it is that it is, does or can create, but I just know not to do that. (sorry for all the help I'm giving you
hu.gif
but perhaps another person can help you more)

We are feeding laying pellets and the hen is still alive. She got on the roost last night and is out and walking today. We let them all out at noon, she is walking around and seems like she is better today.

I have never heard of Apple Cider Vin in chicken water. Can you tell us why? 3 dead and one sick and no sign of injury, or obvious sickness before this hit. Sounds like poisen to me. Sounds like the vinigar is reacting with the water container. If you have to use vinigar go to to plastic or rubber now.

Back
Top Bottom