3 diff age goslings, how do I get them outside?

MamaChickSays

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2017
NC
Hi. This is my 1st time with geese. I have had chickens for 5 years now but as sweet as these goslings are I can't believe I've waited this long to raise some. Fingers crossed they'll stay this sweet. :) We do hold them and play with them everyday and I've read that helps. I have 3 girls, 1 boy. 2 Embden girls and a pair of American Buffs. I'm having a dilemma. All mine are in the house with no heat lamp now. My problem is 1 is 3 weeks old, 2 are 2 weeks old and 1 is 1 week old! I just turned the lamp off a few days ago and they're doing great! I bring them out every morning on the grass in a playpen thing and back in at night. Well, my 3 week old is getting really big fast (see pic) but how do i get them all outside with temps in low 60s at night? Our goose house is ready but there's no heat. I think the 3 week old would do fine but she can't be alone. I put them out at high 60s and they're fine in the sunshine and play in a plate of water etc. But at night wouldn't it be too cold or would they huddle and be fine? They're in my kitchen now lol & I see this oldest one getting really big fast!! See pic. I guess I should not have ever gotten they're ages so far apart.We don't have a garage, which would be so helpful right now I think. Do they need all their feathers before they can stay outside at night with no heat? Here's a few pics. Thank you so much for any thoughts!

I also have brought in new goslings, but I've had mine for over two months! I set mine outside a little earlier, but they still have heat available to them if they want. However, goslings are usually set out by four weeks and not fully fledged, at around 15° higher than what you have mentioned. As Ducks4us mentioned, a trial period couldn't hurt where you check in on them. If they're comfortable, they won't be tightly huddled. If they're cold, they will shiver, huddle tightly, and most likely cry as babies do.

Your babies are adorable!
I dont know if i will be much help. This is my first time with goslings as well. I only have 2 white chinese babies who are just 2 weeks old.
Mine still have heat.. and they stay around the edges of it at night still were its around 75
With you having 4 and them being able to cuddle more i kinda think they will be okay. Especially since you already have them out during the day so they are used to it a little it sounds like.
If it was me i would try it and check on them a few times and see how they seem to be doing.
See if they are shivering and super tightly huddled together or if they look comfortable.
I have 13 ducklings and they were without heat completely by 4 weeks and thats with night temps in the low 30s
13 is alot and they really kept each other warm

Thank you Ducks4us! Congrats on your new babies also! We're still doing some experimenting but they're doing really well right now so I think we're doing something right. haha. 13 duckys!? How fun that must be. :) Thank you for your reply!

Thank you for your reply Pomnovice. Are those your geese in your profile pic? They're beautiful! I think we're doing good so far. Everyone is healthy and happy, no huddling and no staying far apart so maybe we've got this figured out. haha. They're so cute and cuddly I have to laugh every day at how they act with me. I am sure it'll change when they get older but as long as no one is chasing me or my family down I'm good. :) We're still watching them for any signs of being cold or hot till we can let them all be on their own in their goose house completely. Do you know if they can't see at night like my chickens? I haven't read that part yet and was wondering. Thanks again for the info.

Mine still cuddle, even though they're older! They can't see at night, you'd be right in assuming! I bet they're doing beautifully.

Last edited:
Hmm, this pic didn't upload with my above post. Oh well, this is The Shire this morning at sunrise. So sweet to see them in there.

So cute! Nice setup!
Yeah 13 ducklings! Entertaining to say the least! One was a drake and so we just sold him thursday. I didnt plan for a drake but we have 10 runner ducks and 3 khaki campbells. And the drake was a khaki. If i was gonna keep a drake i would prefer a runner duck . ....So 12 girl ducklings! And boy are they noisy!
And our 2 chinese geese look to be a pair. We are sooooo in love with them. We only wanted two girls, but im okay with a pair.
We have a couple close neighbors but between everyones dogs and goats and roosters i really dont think the geese will be any worse.
I could never have imagined that geese have this amazing of personalities. They are far more like puppies than the ducks and chickens.
They are so attached and follow me everywhere i move.

Last edited:
Does anyone have ideas for me? Can I put them in their goose house outside with doors when they don't have feathers yet and it's low 60s at night? Will they huddle and keep each other warm? The older one will be full size by the time the 1 week old can go out if that's the case and then I'm stuck. Will have to have someone alone and they sure squawk when left alone for a moment when I take each one outside. Lol. Silly babies.

Does anyone have ideas for me? Can I put them in their goose house outside with doors when they don't have feathers yet and it's low 60s at night? Will they huddle and keep each other warm? The older one will be full size by the time the 1 week old can go out if that's the case and then I'm stuck. Will have to have someone alone and they sure squawk when left alone for a moment when I take each one outside. Lol. Silly babies.

Your babies are adorable!
I dont know if i will be much help. This is my first time with goslings as well. I only have 2 white chinese babies who are just 2 weeks old.
Mine still have heat.. and they stay around the edges of it at night still were its around 75
With you having 4 and them being able to cuddle more i kinda think they will be okay. Especially since you already have them out during the day so they are used to it a little it sounds like.
If it was me i would try it and check on them a few times and see how they seem to be doing.
See if they are shivering and super tightly huddled together or if they look comfortable.
I have 13 ducklings and they were without heat completely by 4 weeks and thats with night temps in the low 30s
13 is alot and they really kept each other warm

I also have brought in new goslings, but I've had mine for over two months! I set mine outside a little earlier, but they still have heat available to them if they want. However, goslings are usually set out by four weeks and not fully fledged, at around 15° higher than what you have mentioned. As Ducks4us mentioned, a trial period couldn't hurt where you check in on them. If they're comfortable, they won't be tightly huddled. If they're cold, they will shiver, huddle tightly, and most likely cry as babies do.

Thank you for your reply Pomnovice. Are those your geese in your profile pic? They're beautiful! I think we're doing good so far. Everyone is healthy and happy, no huddling and no staying far apart so maybe we've got this figured out. haha. They're so cute and cuddly I have to laugh every day at how they act with me. I am sure it'll change when they get older but as long as no one is chasing me or my family down I'm good. :) We're still watching them for any signs of being cold or hot till we can let them all be on their own in their goose house completely. Do you know if they can't see at night like my chickens? I haven't read that part yet and was wondering. Thanks again for the info.

Back
Top Bottom