3 month evaluation

I recently introduced some young barred rocks and BSLs to my existing flock of EEs and RIRs. I have one large EE that rules them all, but the RIRs are definitely second in command behind her.

The little barred rocks are little sweeties. The BSLs are very friendly as well.

There's not a lot fighting, but I spent a couple of hours sitting by the run with a gallon of water and a small cup, which held about 1/4 C of water at a time. Every time one of the big girls took a peck at one of the new ones, she got a face full of water. I figure if it works for the cats, why not the chickens?

The big girls are now grudgingly sharing the food and the young ladies are pretty good at getting in eating a little and getting out.

I love the RIRs for their consistent laying of XL eggs, but I probably won't add more unless I have a separate place just for them. I'd rather have more, sweet chickens than fewer bullies to get the same output.

Side Barred Rock Story: I was in the run recently and crouched down to do something and one of the Rocks flew up behind me and landed on my knee, then proceeded to settle in and roost there. I petted her for a bit. I didn't have the heart to stand up. She stayed for a good 5 minutes, before finally moving on. My legs were aching, but it was worth it. :)

Fencing around the garden or around specific plants / beds really helps. We do the second. Can't expect the chickens to change their minds. It's a worthwhile investment because plants aren't cheap to replace, in money and in labor.
I put out a tub of sand mixed with chicken dust and they love it. Combined with low fences around my flowerbeds the garden plants are no longer getting damaged.

Wow... The vitriol most of you have for the RIRs! I've had the exact opposite experience with them! My RIR hens and roos, including the hybrids of RIR, are extremely friendly, personable, and just over all sweet birds! The roos are even sweet babies, and I have 3 of them. Mine are all from Hoover's hatchery, so it's not like they are well bred or anything. Now, I handle my birds from day one, several times a day, and talk to them throughout the day, because they spend the first 7 weeks in my living room. Maybe that's why my chickens are all laid back and sweet? Who knows. The one exception was a Golden Laced Wyandotte cockrell. He was a bastard and only made it to 7 months old because my husband thought he was gorgeous. Well, mister Dante was NOT Rico Suave. He was violent toward all the other chickens, even scalped on of my older hens. He was awful. He has been the only bird we've had to dispatch in the 4 years we've had birds. I have zero plans to ever get another Wyandotte. Our one Wyandotte hen is OK. She's extremely stand-offish and would just...rather not, with us humans, while all 37 of the other chickens are friendly and interactive. All but 3 chickens are from Hoover's.
Now, the Barred Rocks are pretty awesome, too! The best roo I have is a BR, and he really is great. He doesn't run after a hen. If she side steps him, he doesn't pursue her. He just turns to another hen who is willing. He never, ever, makes the hens squawk while he does his rooster business. He is quick and efficient. No excessive stomping or "surfing" on their backs. He is respectful of both my husband, who does all the chicken chores, and myself, the bringer of snacks. I mean, I wish I could clone him, that's how awesome he is. We let him train the cockrells, before puberty hits, and they get moved to the Batchelor Pad. He's great at his job.

Back
Top Bottom