3 months old! Gender guesses? Im New at this!

I'm kinda wondering if the lighter one could be male.  I don't see any tapering of the feather ends. Don't know if that's always the case, but its something I've been noticing lately in the female chicks (besides the single end bar).  Are the leg shafts the same thickness, or does the lighter chick have thicker legs? 

Thank you all so much ! Ms Molly, the lighter one has started getting green/blue feathers in patches below her/his neck on the back. We just noticed them this weekend. The brown one has a green/blue head at this point, I'm not sure if that's normal for a female? Here are some updated pictures
[/IMG]

Both hens and roosters will fan starting from hatch to past maturity. Its their way of swelling up to look bigger and to floss. As for sexing your girls, in India blues natural pattern (regular) both sexes get the barring pattern but, the roosters bars will be closer together on each feather and crisper or sharper in shape. Your little girl has them scattered and they will slowly disappear as she matures, Congrats and Bravo to you for such healthy birds,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Thank you so much Gerald,
The lighter one has started to produce green blue feathers on her upper back. Just in patches, not in any pattern. The darker one is much bigger and has blue/green on the neck and her head is becoming green as well. Is this normal for females? I looked at our adult female blue and she has no green on her head, just neck! Thanks so much for all of your help! MUCH appreciated!

Thank you so much Gerald,
The lighter one has started to produce green blue feathers on her upper back. Just in patches, not in any pattern. The darker one is much bigger and has blue/green on the neck and her head is becoming green as well. Is this normal for females? I looked at our adult female blue and she has no green on her head, just neck! Thanks so much for all of your help! MUCH appreciated!

BS birds will vary in color and all chicks change their feathers constantly. I relooked at your pics to try and see if there is any chance either is a rooster and I just dont see anything that screams rooster. The dark one is no doubt an IB hen and the lighter one can change but, im still calling it a BS hen. Give it a few weeks and repost some pics and we'll see then, deal,
1f44d.png
?

Gerald Barker

BS birds will vary in color and all chicks change their feathers constantly. I relooked at your pics to try and see if there is any chance either is a rooster and I just dont see anything that screams rooster. The dark one is no doubt an IB hen and the lighter one can change but, im still calling it a BS hen. Give it a few weeks and repost some pics and we'll see then, deal,
1f44d.png
?

Gerald Barker
1f60a.png
Deal! Thanks so much! I'll send some pics in a few weeks! Such a little mystery with the BS hen
1f60a.png
Exciting!

Back
Top Bottom