3 roosters/11 hens = 1egg

Cereal

Songster
6 Years
Jul 27, 2014
Does the amount of roosters I have change what the hens do with egg production? We hatched out 5 chicks this spring and of course 2 are hens and 3 are roosters. The brothers are pretty ok with each other but we know we have too many roosters. Two of the brothers must find new homes. But in the meantime, the ladies are giving out one egg a day which I can tell is from one of the young hens from this year cause it's small. Are the three roosters messing up the hens laying?

I wouldn't imagine so, but maybe constant attentions from the 3 boys are causing them stress. As you mentioned, you need to get rid of 2 of the roos so why not do it now?

Absolutely young coming of age cockerels can mess up egg production by harassing the hens and pullets.

How old are your birds?
...and what is your location?

Last edited:
Short of making rooster soup, I am waiting for someone to come get the extra boys. Yes whether I see it or not, I am sure the boys are stressing out the hens. I have several hens that are max 2 years old but a get a few more each year. I hatched several last year and 2 hens this year. So all under 2 years. Two are banties which I never expect much from except brooding, and the rest are a mix of Arauca's, Plymouth rocks, and others various breeds. I try to get the Easter eggers. We live in the Idaho Panhandle in a climate that has all four seasons. In the winter they still lay cause I provide fresh water and heat at night. They have lots of straps from the kitchen and gardens. they love the sunflowers, watermelons rinds, cantaloupe seeds/rinds, and cabbage, They get lots of free ranging in when I am home and I dig worms for them - plush to say the least but it is fun.

I'd get the boys out of there now, put them in another enclosure or large wire dog crates, until they are picked up or harvested.

Any bird about or over 18 months old may well be getting ready to molt this time of year, they stop laying when they molt.

Heat will not help with winter laying.
First year layers might lay all winter without supplemental lighting.
But older birds need minimum a 12-14 hours of white light, carefully applied with a timer, in the winter to continue laying.

Too many other foods can dilute the protein and other nutrients needed for good egg production, depending on what chicken ration they are given.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom