3 Week Old Chick Sexing: 2 D’uccles, 1 Polish

Broody Bist

Songster
May 7, 2018
Hi all,

BEFORE YOU TELL ME
I already know these things:
1. Polish chicken are difficult to sex
2. They all are probably too young (I will update at 6 weeks, I heard that’s the best time for D’uccles)
3. Some of the pics are blurry I APOLOGIZE

Anyway here’s the deal

***The chicks are..
Porcelain D’uccle-
Marguerite
Millie Fleur D’uccle- Jacqueline
White crested black polish- Mr. Fezziwig***

So the feed store lady tried to vent sex them, said Marguerite was a hen, Jacqueline too, and for Mr. Fezziwig she said she wasn’t sure.

I’m thinking Marguerite and Fezziwig are roos, and Jackie’s a girl. I know there won’t be any 100% answers, but any guesses??

thanks guys :p

Mr. Fezziwig
5FFF12AA-AFD4-4345-888A-C996F93F035A.jpeg 6D864CDA-B984-4C9D-B538-B68B7E51445E.jpeg FE008F88-5116-4636-8E19-7AF0439CC3C5.jpeg 62441104-A680-4CC3-A4F8-268662413900.jpeg

Jacqueline
D773CA25-2333-4F29-B048-C49EAC573A63.jpeg 1ED6742E-9723-4491-A18C-7A5ECB2C5920.jpeg 158B3AF4-0A2D-4021-9168-BAD99F18C018.jpeg 61A4ECF4-AE6E-4B7D-BB37-9C5738ADFDA0.jpeg

Marguerite
76C2B4E2-5B24-4F1B-8863-06567A6FA0C7.jpeg 0A2F0109-192A-4C1F-8F42-7B2B1DF7E87C.jpeg C3E6FB23-1E33-47E5-9F37-7B5C66139991.jpeg 291F79D2-1103-4702-8497-3D46E5BC808F.jpeg CE6A3894-0C30-46B7-9FC0-F1DF2F9485AF.jpeg
(Some of his/her pics are blurry, sorry)

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention they are all exactly the same age, they'll be 3 weeks tomorrow. Marguerite's a little sicklier than the other two, though.

Polish- Cockerel
Mille Fleur D'Uccle- Pullet
Porcelain D'Uccle- Cockerel

(I have two D'Uccle chicks. At 3 weeks I could very easily sex them by simply looking at them.
Also, vent sexing should only be done by professionals. It is very easy to harm a chick when vent sexing. And, it's easy to do improperly which would result in most chicks looking like a "female" when vent sexed.)

agreed

Polish- Cockerel

(I have two D'Uccle chicks. At 3 weeks I could very easily sex them by simply looking at them.
Also, vent sexing should only be done by professionals. It is very easy to harm a chick when vent sexing. And, it's easy to do improperly which would result in most chicks looking like a "female" when vent sexed.)

Polish- Cockerel

Thank you so much. Also, what do you mean by vent sexing can sometimes harm them? Because the porcelain cockerel has been having a lot of vent trouble, and we know it isn't just a bad case of pasty butt. It's been going on since we got him, and we've had a lot of chicks with pasty butt in the past, it has never lasted this long. We also keep him really clean. I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. Do you think that might have something to do with it?

Thank you so much. Also, what do you mean by vent sexing can sometimes harm them? Because the porcelain cockerel has been having a lot of vent trouble, and we know it isn't just a bad case of pasty butt. It's been going on since we got him, and we've had a lot of chicks with pasty butt in the past, it has never lasted this long. We also keep him really clean. I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. Do you think that might have something to do with it?
It can damage their organs and the tracts that lead to the vent. I'm by no means an expert in this field but I believe that your cockerel's issues could have resulted from incorrectly performed vent sexing.

Also, one more quick question... will the polish and the d'uccle roos get along? I really don't know what to do if they won't :(
I can't really answer that because it is a case-by-case matter. However, Polish birds do tend to get picked on by other birds due to their crests.

I recently started trying to integrate my younger D'Uccle cockerel with my older D'Uccle cock. With my experience it does not go well. My older cock is very vicious to the younger one.

It can damage their organs and the tracts that lead to the vent. I'm by no means an expert in this field but I believe that your cockerel's issues could have resulted from incorrectly performed vent sexing.
Okay, thank you. I hope he'll get better.

I can't really answer that because it is a case-by-case matter. However, Polish birds do tend to get picked on by other birds due to their crests.

I recently started trying to integrate my younger D'Uccle cockerel with my older D'Uccle cock. With my experience it does not go well. My older cock is very vicious to the younger one.

I hope I don't have to get rid of one, they're both going to be beautiful birds :( Thank you for your help though

They should get along ok since they were raised together and neither are game birds.
I hope so, but if it doesn't work out we're thinking about building another coop, so Jacqueline can stay with Duke (Marguerite is now John Wayne the Booted Bantam) and we can maybe get Mr. Fezziwig some Silkie hens!! Do ya'll think that would work out?

Back
Top Bottom