3 week old chicks, sick and dying one by one

Pics

pinkl72

Songster
Dec 18, 2022
I started with 11 chicks who appeared very sick when we got them. I made a post about the 2 worst ones which sadly passed. One passed an hour after getting them home and one the next day. Then another 2 days later and at this point, I have 6 left. I've had them for 2 weeks. I immediately started them on Corid(a recommendation I received from my 1st post), poly vi sol (vitamins), and a drop of nutridrench in their water. They had that for approximately 2 days and then there was a missed communication and when their water was changed, corid was not added. I dont know when the corid was discontinued but when I found out, I started them back on it. So they received corid for at least 2 days and then didn't receive it for 10 or less days and have been receiving it going on 5 days. Another bird passed last night. When we received them, they had little bugs on them bad enough you could see them crawling across their backs. We dusted them and then dusted again 9 days later although there were no visible bugs any longer. What else can I do? Their feathers are sticking out but they arent frizzles: is this a symptom of something? People describe chicks as "puffed out" for coccidiosis but I don't know what exactly that looks like. Im attaching pictures. I want to give them all a fair chance. I also have tylan, should I give that with the corid? I plan on discontinuing the corid after today which will be 5 full days of corid and then restart in 2 weeks for 3 days; is this right? I am still putting the poly vi sol and drop of nutridrench in the water and now adding probiotics, vitamin E, and vetrx. I feel like I'm trying everything and they seem to be getting better and then another one dies. One has had pasty butt twice which we cleaned both times, the 2nd time I put coconut oil on and around her vent to try to prevent the caking of the poop and some of her feathers were gone around her vent so I thought it would protect the skin. Another one had pasty butt and was washed and was fine and then she died the next day. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. They are in a brooder inside with a heat lamp. They have been so sick so I haven't even tried acclimating them to cooler temps but they seem comfortable are scattered throughout the brooder. They are the most skittish chicks I've ever seen, they scream and scatter just from walking by the brooder. They're eating chick crumbles from atwoods. I'm happy to add more pictures and can buy whatever medicine or supplies necessary.

Attachments

• 20230130_100640.jpg
    20230130_100640.jpg
    671.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230130_103717.jpg
    20230130_103717.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230130_100646.jpg
    20230130_100646.jpg
    715.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230130_100634.jpg
    20230130_100634.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230130_100106.jpg
    20230130_100106.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 27
Do not give vitamin supplements while giving Corid. The vitamins make the corid not work.
(Specifically, thiamine is the vitamin that matters.)

Sorry I can't help with any of the other points.
Thank you, I didn't know. Do you think I should do 5 more days on the corid?

Wish I could help more. All I can do is ask about some other points, which you may have already covered anyway, but:
Brooder temp high enough under the lamp? At this age and being sickly, maybe 90-95-deg-F?
Can you supplement with scrambled eggs?
What starter feed are you using?

Unfortunately, sometimes there is just something wrong in their genetic makeup or poor incubation conditions that lead to poor health and early death. :hugs:fl

Below is what "puffed out" looks like. I've only dealt with Cocci once, with just this chick but I gave Corid to all of them with NO vitamins or anything extra, just feed with a litter corid water on the feed. I did the Corid routine for 10days. You have to start over as if you have not given Corid since the vitamins make it not work. Where did you get them with such a sad start in life? Heat lamp in a galvanized tub, watch your temps to not get too high. Sorry you're going through a rough time.

IMG_E4821.JPG

Have you done a fecal float for these guys? A veterinarian can do it for a minimal fee if you take them a fresh sample of poo. If they'd been running around outside before you got them, they could have intestinal parasites (worms, who knows). The treatment varies depending on what they've got going on. You can search on here for treatment once you know what they've got if you're vet is not super confident about dosing chickens, you just need the vet to ID what they find in the poo.

I immediately started them on Corid(a recommendation I received from my 1st post), poly vi sol (vitamins), and a drop of nutridrench in their water. They had that for approximately 2 days and then there was a missed communication and when their water was changed, corid was not added. I dont know when the corid was discontinued but when I found out, I started them back on it. So they received corid for at least 2 days and then didn't receive it for 10 or less days and have been receiving it going on 5 days.

When we received them, they had little bugs on them bad enough you could see them crawling across their backs.

Their feathers are sticking out but they arent frizzles: is this a symptom of something? People describe chicks as "puffed out" for coccidiosis but I don't know what exactly that looks like.

I am still putting the poly vi sol and drop of nutridrench in the water and now adding probiotics, vitamin E, and vetrx.
Re-start the Corid and make sure you are giving the correct dose. Corid liquid dose is 2tsp or Corid Powder is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given as the sole source of drinking water for 5-7 days. Don't add any extra vitamins or supplements that contain B1(Thiamine) to their food or water during the course of treatment.

Is your chick starter fresh?

Photos of current poop in natural light so we can see what's going on.

Temperature of your brooder would be good too.

As far as the feathers sticking out, that happens sometimes when they are feathering out. The feathers don't always come in evenly at first, it usually resolves as they become more fully feathered, it can take a while. That in itself is probably not an issue. Agree with everything else everybody contributed.

Back
Top Bottom