3 wk old brooder move

Bjjjones89

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2023
I have been a long time lurker for theblast 4-5 months since acquiring my first batch of ducks. I have 6 4-5mo ducks (1 buff, 2 jumbo pekins(although one isnt jumbo 🤷‍♀️), and 3 white layers.) At the time of ordering them i thought id lose a few so i just jumped right in lol they are all pretty healthy and happy we made them a nice big coop its 10x10 with a 3x10 smaller attatchment that they can hid in or lay eggs in or whatever. Well I wanted some cayugas and due to having my breeding ratios off i ordered some and a golden 300 layer so i have 3 babies in the brooder. Along with 3 french toulouse geese. The brooder is now too small 🤣 cant imagine why...... so im curious my coop is plenty big enough fairly draft free so i had the idea of putting them in a wire run/ play pen style cage in the main coop area. I purchased it and it has arrived im a little nervous it will be hard on the big ones. I do intend to put carboard around the sides for a couple weeks until they get a little bigger so i dont have any nipping through the bars or anything. They will have a heat lamp as well. Has anyone else don similar?

20230613_092619.jpg
here is a picture of my big ones. Also this was right before a total bedding change.
20230607_091202.jpg
the goslings are sooo cool the ducks have always been pretty aloof and unfriendly but these guys are just sooo friendly.
20230606_134225.jpg
they need a bigger area as they are much bigger than this now and making a way bigger mess

20230618_083930.jpg
20230618_084228.jpg
heres the wire cage set up and i am gonna wrap the sides i could use cardboard or a tarp or whatever. The other option would be blocking off the nesting area and using it but its kinda dark in there and im not particularly fond of the heat lamp setup in it that my husband built its in the middle and it isnt adjustable. But these guys cant stay in the little brooder anymore just gross gross gross
20230618_085727.jpg

View attachment 3546887View attachment 3546888heres the wire cage set up and i am gonna wrap the sides i could use cardboard or a tarp or whatever. The other option would be blocking off the nesting area and using it but its kinda dark in there and im not particularly fond of the heat lamp setup in it that my husband built its in the middle and it isnt adjustable. But these guys cant stay in the little brooder anymore just gross gross gross View attachment 3546896
I moved my 3 week olds into the duck house
Just sectioned off an area with hardware cloth and made a gate
I haven’t had any issues
My little ones are 5 weeks now and run with the big ducks in the yard
None of my big ducks tried nipping my younger ones
The odd head nod but that’s it
It was my 2 month old goose that was trouble and would try to nip them when outdoors
She has now stopped that
I have babies in one. Goose in the next one and mom and dad duck in the other
The older son chases mom to mate and she doesn’t like him
Dad gets overprotective
To avoid fights at night in an enclosed area I just keep mom and dad in their own area
The rest of the ducks have the rest of the area

Attachments

• 894E04AA-AA3C-4953-B9F4-74101108C4EE.jpeg
    894E04AA-AA3C-4953-B9F4-74101108C4EE.jpeg
    705.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom