3 wk old chick suddenly struggling for air.

Sorry she isn't getting better, this is why treatment starts out 24 hrs no food, its gradually added in over time. Sounds like normal feather shedding.

Her crop is full and she seems to be adjusting it periodically. She has pooped a few times, one more runny than the others. She's somewhat active; willing to move around, not sleeping all the time. I've called a vet to see if I can get more info on medicating her for sour crop; waiting to hear back from them. At least I know she got some energy and nutrition into her last night; hopefully she'll have fight for another day.

It really sounds more like an obstruction than yeast... I say if she's still pooping, let her have the moistened crumbles, but try to get her to drink more.

-Kathy

That's kind of what I think, especially considering how these events began. I'm going to give her more of the fiber too. As for the food, I was just happy to see her willingness to eat; and she chose the crumbles over anything else. Maybe the vet will have some insight...it's a different vet this time. If she makes it through this, Cherry is going to be renamed something like Hope or Flourish! Thank you all for sticking with me!

I think I have a healthy baby chick! I'm so excited! Thanks to everyone for their help, somehow... something worked! And, I sure learned a lot in the process. Now one last question: Is it o.k. for me to put the chick back under momma bird tonight, or will she be rejected? Could I even take her out today and keep a close watch on her for a little while? Thoughts?

The nighttime is the time to attempt this, but I would keep checking on this chick under the broody to see if she is taking care of it. And I would be out in the coop before daylight to watch for any aggressive behavior. The broody might take her back with no problem, but could push her out to get hurt by others, get chilled, and she may peck her to death. Just be aware that it can happen. I might be tempted to try it during the day if I could spend a lot of time out with them. You could try it today, and if there is any rough treatment, I would remove her.

Back
Top Bottom