$30 Coop Heater - Chromalox Screw Base Unit

hennesse

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Broad Run, VA
Here's an inexpensive way to keep your flock warm on those cold winter nights - a Chromalox Screw Base Unit

You're probably never heard of one. It's a light bulb that produces no light - just heat. These were produced (and still are) as a small heating unit for electrical switchgear cabinets, locker room lockers, and such. They screw in a standard light bulb socket, run on standard US 120-volt electricity, and are available in 50, 75, 100, 150 and 200 watt models.

When the temperature drops below 20 degrees F, I put one of these in my coop. I use either a 100 watt (SCB-100) watt or 200 watt (SCB-200) unit - they use the same amount of electricity as a 100 or 200 watt light bulb, but there's no wasted light - it's all heat!

If you look on eBay, you will find New Old Stock units for sale. They typically sell for $50 or more, but that's crazy. I've bought several on eBay for less than $20 including shipping. Deals can be found, especially in the warmer months, but you've got to be patient. Keep looking on eBay, you will find one in the recommended price range.

Here's a 200-watt unit I recently bought for $9.95 + $7 shipping

The porcelain light bulb base is important - these things produce too much heat for a plastic drop light or similar thing. They are readily available at real hardware stores - also at Home Cheapo(R) or Blowes(R) - for $5.

Attach the porcelain outlet base to a steel or plastic octagon outlet box (about $1)

By the time you add some Romex wire, wire nuts, and a plug, you'll have invested $30. Plonk the whole thing in an old tall kitchen pot to keep it away from wood shavings, chickens, etc. The kitchen pot in which your darling wife burned the bejesus out of the pot roast will be free, although some cleanup labor may be required.

The Chromalox Screw Base Units were designed to run for the long haul. 20 years from now, you'll probably be using the same one you bought back in 2017 for a paltry $9.95 Your current chickens will be long gone. Your coop may be long gone. Heck, YOU may be long gone by then. But your Chromalox Screw Base Unit will still be on the job...

Emerson Electric (EMR) is one of the Bluest of the "Blue Chip" stocks traded on the New York Stock Exchange. They've been around since 1890. In a world filled with cheap Chinese junk, Emerson still makes quality products designed to last.

Dave Hennessey

So what do you mean by "plonk" it in the pot?,Did you drill a hole for the romex and than put the lid on top?
Sit the pot on a block?

Does it literally produce heat from some sort of electrical resistance in the unit? Like would this burn me if I touch it (and that is why you suggest putting it in a pot to diffuse the heat to a wider area)? Or is it more of an IR radiation emitter? Because if it is IR, there are cheaper ways to go. Lot of people use bulbs designed for reptiles like this one in a standard clamp on light holder with ceramic base.

204513g.jpg

It is resistive heat and it gets hot.I believe the pot would be to disperse the heat but I was thinking of mounting it to the ceiling inside a pot somehow.You will get burned by this thing.I just picked one up on eBay for $11 including s&h. 150w one. The deals are there.It even came with a bakilite adapter socket for non porcelain sockets.

Back
Top Bottom