-30 degrees in pennsylvania next week

They should always be herded inside where it’s dry and safe when temps get frigid and snow is deep. They may not want to go but it’s for their own good.
Is it possible to train the little boogers to go into their house? We have a pond down at the front of our place and the duck house is behind our house. Not that far really. Our muscovy move around our place during the day foraging but their favorite place to be is in or around the pond. There is a barn down front that they can go to get out of the weather but they just don't. However, the mamma has hatched her two clutches in that barn so I would assume that she feels safe. I'm just perplexed as to why they are reluctant to go in at night or during the cold. My babies actually shiver when it's in the 20's! Is that normal?

Muscovys are not as water proof as other domestics. So if they are wet and cold they will shiver if temps are extreme and with wind. A duck isn’t going to feel safe in a shelter where they can get cornered, if you have shelter for them where you can lock them in at night start training now. Feed only at that shelter, go and buy something really yummy and start training them to come when you bring it out, mine love whole corn,meal worms and 6 way scratch some use peas lettuce things like that once you get them coming to their shelter bring the treats out in a can, use something with a lid so you can shake it then start whistling or using a phrase that will only be for treats. Get them to their shelter give them their reward then be ready to herd them into their shelter for the night. It may take two st first but mine have been going into their house by themselves for many years now because they like routine and they are trained. When I first started herding and training I used two long bamboo poles now I can guide with my arms. How many ducks do you have? I have 12 right now so if I can do this you can. Just be consistent.

Muscovys are not as water proof as other domestics. So if they are wet and cold they will shiver if temps are extreme and with wind. A duck isn’t going to feel safe in a shelter where they can get cornered, if you have shelter for them where you can lock them in at night start training now. Feed only at that shelter, go and buy something really yummy and start training them to come when you bring it out, mine love whole corn,meal worms and 6 way scratch some use peas lettuce things like that once you get them coming to their shelter bring the treats out in a can, use something with a lid so you can shake it then start whistling or using a phrase that will only be for treats. Get them to their shelter give them their reward then be ready to herd them into their shelter for the night. It may take two st first but mine have been going into their house by themselves for many years now because they like routine and they are trained. When I first started herding and training I used two long bamboo poles now I can guide with my arms. How many ducks do you have? I have 12 right now so if I can do this you can. Just be consistent.
:goodpost:

I'm in Ohio and we just had the polar vortex last week too. My girls are about to be 5 years old, and they've been through TWO polar vortexes now. No problems! We just keep their water heated and make sure they have plenty of straw. But they don't even want to go in their house! Silly girls. :)

Back
Top Bottom