3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Have been putting my 3 chicks out all day for a while (nice weather here!) and think I'll leave them in their pen tonight (in a small box). It will probably get down into the low 30's. hmmm, they may need a little help keeping their heat in... ok, will go take them a blankie or something. So good to see what everyone else is doing.

I love my warm weather when it comes to kicking chicks out of the house, I booted mine out weeks ago! :lol:

'Course it's been in the high 90's so no fear of them chilling! :lol:

I love my warm weather when it comes to kicking chicks out of the house, I booted mine out weeks ago!
lol.png

'Course it's been in the high 90's so no fear of them chilling!
lol.png

tongue.gif

As soon as I posted that I was getting my chicks out this weekend.... the weather went bad.
barnie.gif
Cold & damp, not a good combo.
th.gif

I threw the ducks outside, it's 19 out but their brooder is filthy and needs the fan on it for a good few hours to dry it out. Going to be a high of 28 though, that's warm.... for Maine... They'll need to come in for the nights but it looks like Monday marks a new weather pattern where it won't be single digits at night anymore, for the most part. That's my goal date to get them the heck out of my house.

I spent part of yesterday in the ER at work with some weird heart arrhythmia. It's nice to work at a hospital, for the most part, but uncomfortable being half naked in front of people you work and attend meetings with. I am grateful that it wasn't bad enough to not send me back to work, but I wish it would stop, it feels strange.
I still think this hatch is cursed.

I put mine out when it was pretty low temps outside .. 30-40's day, teens at night.. but I have a small heat source in the barn that keeps the whole barn around 40-50, so they are fine. I'm cranking the heat down this week also to get them acclimated to 'outside' temps, so in a few weeks hopefully they can get out of the barn to make room for the valentine's day chicks! :) I had eight week olders last year outside in single digit weather and they were just fine.

Lately, I've been sitting in the grow out pen with my NYD hatch chicks and I've been giving them bread.

THEY ATTACK ME NOW when I walk in. They must think I'm made of bread!!!

I've got to get pics for y'all.

Eating broccoli

#29 is the one on the lower right.

My new Vindor icelandic is the one with the "do" on the lower left.

White one is a SWA X TraderJoe's Leghorn.

Middle is an Icelandic

Top and top left are SFHs... I think!

And here's a wide view of some of the same ones.

Most in this pic are Icelandics.

Here's some pics of my NYD hatch:

Here is some from my swap eggs.
Brahma cross I think, from Tuthillny

Tuthillny's EE on the left, Birchen IB on the right

Tuthillny's Barred/Cuckoo on the left, blue cochin AM on the right, IaBs in the back ground.

This is the single hatched from from Allbreeds - Old English Game/EE. It may be hard to tell from the picture but I think she's lavender?

Last edited:
SCG: So very worried about you, hope you are okay and not burning it at both ends, remember to take care of you too.

Karimw: Oh MY! How beautiful! and are you using feed sacks as dividers? What a wonderful way to recycle.

I am desperately trying to get the NYD chicks out of my Laundry room, where my whole family gets a fine layer of dust on their clothing these days.... for free! It's in the 50's today so the chickies are playing outside in a dog crate, no bottom so they can scratch around. Here are my babies at 4 weeks:

The kids call this one 'Big Fat Meanie Head' He's constantly tromping on all the other chicks. I call him 'lunch', he'll be the first to go, quite a shame, he's so big and pretty.

I just LOVE this one with the Mohawk, can't quite sex him/her yet. Hope it's a girl, but behavior says boy, and has some big ole, thick legs.

Back
Top Bottom