3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!

I'm sick of Brinseas. Just leave them be.. (be sure they have 70% humidity) and we'll see what we get.

I candled and out of the 20, there was one quitter so I'm down to 19 eggs. 2 bargain EEs, 4 EEs from my coop, 2 pure BWAs and 11 Icelandics. Oh well. Guess I'll wait and see what Kathy can send me in the spring.

I'm now guessing I'll hatch out 9 chicks. If I'm lucky... let's see 9/104...8.65% hatch rate. YIKES!!

Last edited:
WOW! I love my brinsea, but now I better go check it. this hatch appears to be jinxed
sad.png

Well, still have 15 even after candling yesterday!!!

I can't get the stinking humidity up past 50%, though! I've tried everything, but it's a no go. Guess I'll just have to see what happens, then.
fl.gif

look what i did Yesterday!!!
tongue2.gif

get-attachment.aspx

Those are 4 week old lion cubs that I have in my lap! So much fun and there were 5 of them!!!

Quote:
I've had that here too as our winter cold snaps suck all the moisture from the air. The realative humidity (outside the incubator) is only 23% so I'm lucky to maintain 50% inside the bator. Doesn't seem to hurt the chicks though. I have a pretty high hatch rate on local eggs, about 85% or higher depending on the source, and usually about 50% for shipped eggs, which is pretty good considering all they have to go through just to get here.

Good luck
fl.gif

Quote:
Darn, what misfortune in this year's hatch! Sheeeesh!

I can hardly wait to start my hatches. Another month or so, I think I will start up. I prefer to ship chicks, rather than eggs. That way, I get my hatching fix, too!
tongue.png

Quote:
I've had that here too as our winter cold snaps suck all the moisture from the air. The realative humidity (outside the incubator) is only 23% so I'm lucky to maintain 50% inside the bator. Doesn't seem to hurt the chicks though. I have a pretty high hatch rate on local eggs, about 85% or higher depending on the source, and usually about 50% for shipped eggs, which is pretty good considering all they have to go through just to get here.

Good luck
fl.gif

Thanks!

I have never actually used a hygrometer until now, so I've never kept track of the humidity I hatch at. The average humidity here is generally around 80% or 70%

I think the light bulb is making the humidity lower, because when the light is off in the bator the humidity spikes to 95%.

Well I candled again. I am down to 24 eggs. All EE's. I pulled 13 project and 10 EE. I am pretty excited to see what colors I get. I have a jumbo blue egg layer and her eggs are growing VERY nicely.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom