3rd Soft Egg

Thanks. Updated.

Going on second winter with chickens. Their first molt this fall. Used supplemental lighting when daylight dropped to about 11 hours/day last year, set on timer. Same this year....so recently started. Up until now, been getting an egg a day from each with only two soft eggs when they were just starting to lay and an occasional missed egg.

I'm thinking a couple of factors at play ...molting, quick onset of cold, new coop in August (could be an adjustment), and getting over peaking order tension (see first post).

I've been fortunate in year one.

Thanks. Updated.

Going on second winter with chickens. Their first molt this fall. Used supplemental lighting when daylight dropped to about 11 hours/day last year, set on timer. Same this year....so recently started. Up until now, been getting an egg a day from each with only two soft eggs when they were just starting to lay and an occasional missed egg.

I'm thinking a couple of factors at play ...molting, quick onset of cold, new coop in August (could be an adjustment), and getting over peaking order tension (see first post).

I've been fortunate in year one.
Most pullets don't need that extra light in their first winter.
What hours is the light set on now?
I'd cut that light out now and wait to restart it at the end of December.....
....or you may well continue to have problems.

Back
Top Bottom