4.5 Week chicks and temperature

ncmtnmama

Chirping
Feb 13, 2020
Western North Carolina
So I have six chicks and the weather had been lovely about 70 degrees and sunny during the day, so we have been taking them out to their coop so they have more room and are used to their coop when the time comes and they love it! climbing the ladder, fluttering to the roost.

Now, of course, the temps have dropped to highs of 60-ish and wet and rainy. They are not happy about staying in the border! Like petulant kids. It is freaking out our dog, who has designated herself as mama hen! The dog sits next to the brooder and howls when the chicks are loudly peeping to get out. Is it just too chilly to put them out into the coop for a bit? Will they go up into the coop on their own if they get cold?

Last night, we had the heat lamp on at bedtime and the chicks would not settle down. The temperature in the brooder is about 75 degrees. When we turned the lamp off, they settled down and went to sleep. So, are they just done with the lamp? The house temperature is between 68-70 degrees at night. They are mostly feathered. I have one RIR who is just a bit behind the others with feathering.

I read so many people who move the chicks into the coop at 3 and 4 weeks, but I think most of those folks have more chickens to show the newbies the ropes. Any guidance is welcome!

Thanks from a new chicken mom with a stressed-out schnauzer hen mom!

Your temps should be perfect for them. If they're fully feathered and weaned from a heat source they'll do just fine. My chicks go out at 3 days and I keep a heat plate on for them until they're fully feathered, then it's on at night only if the temps warrant doing so, and it to be pretty chilly for that.

I think they're indicating that you can reduce temps further, i.e. if its 70 inside the house they don't need the heat lamp. They obviously want to go out though, so provided that they're decently feathered, and completely off heat (which is another reason to turn off the lamp if they don't want it) I would wait for a nicer day in the forecast, and then just move them out.

I raise my chicks outdoors from the start which hardens them against cooler temperatures and temperature fluctuations.

Back
Top Bottom