4 Bear cubs playing in our yard (Wisconsin)

Debbie292d

Silkie Mom
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Jul 22, 2021
EC Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
Night before last, four bear cubs came bumbling into our yard. They seemed to be interested in a stone flower planter and one climbed up into it while the others ran around it and looked on. They were the size of a St. Bernard dog, maybe slightly bigger.

We've had bear before a few times, but always a momma and a cub or two that only wanted our sunflower seeds out of wild bird feeders. We shoot a shotgun in the air and they leave.

We saw no adults, just the four smaller ones who seemed like they were on an adventure and left shortly after heading through a farmer's field. We could only assume a momma bear or two or three recently weaned them and they're off on their own now? Does anyone know bear behaviors such as are we to assume they will be living around here now or are they on an adventure for something more fun than our place? Are the parents more than likely close to them and would come defend them if our dogs chased them off? We hadn't seen any signs of bear in nearly a year until these four, but most likely if any came close, the dogs scared them off. The dogs were in the house and all the chickens locked up at the time these four were out there. The coop is impenetrable (Amish shed) and no bear have ever even tried.

Night before last, four bear cubs came bumbling into our yard. They seemed to be interested in a stone flower planter and one climbed up into it while the others ran around it and looked on. They were the size of a St. Bernard dog, maybe slightly bigger.

We've had bear before a few times, but always a momma and a cub or two that only wanted our sunflower seeds out of wild bird feeders. We shoot a shotgun in the air and they leave.

We saw no adults, just the four smaller ones who seemed like they were on an adventure and left shortly after heading through a farmer's field. We could only assume a momma bear or two or three recently weaned them and they're off on their own now? Does anyone know bear behaviors such as are we to assume they will be living around here now or are they on an adventure for something more fun than our place? Are the parents more than likely close to them and would come defend them if our dogs chased them off? We hadn't seen any signs of bear in nearly a year until these four, but most likely if any came close, the dogs scared them off. The dogs were in the house and all the chickens locked up at the time these four were out there. The coop is impenetrable (Amish shed) and no bear have ever even tried.
I'm following, Debbie. We fortunately, do not have bears here, but I want to hear the answers that you get.

My guess is momma was nearby even though you didn't see her. Black bears remain with their mothers for 16 months.

They have a home range of 15 to 77 square miles (males have a larger range than females). They never forget where they've found food, so if one (or more) has gotten food from your bird feeders or anywhere else on your property, they will most certainly return.

My guess is momma was nearby even though you didn't see her. Black bears remain with their mothers for 16 months.

They have a home range of 15 to 77 square miles (males have a larger range than females). They never forget where they've found food, so if one (or more) has gotten food from your bird feeders or anywhere else on your property, they will most certainly return.
Thank you. Our feeders were already destroyed by bear so we have those strung by pulleys high in the trees now. They can't reach the suet feeders and I have no chicken feed outdoors.

Our DNR agent called me back. He said this is the breeding season so the momma bear probably booted them out of the den and they are now like four teenagers trying to find food, and you're right...if they find it, they'll be back. We are also keeping our dogs outside more as they weren't out when they were here.

I'm feeling better about all this. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom