4 chickens GONE!

Not a chicken expert....but I have seen plenty birds of prey doing work while hunting and such. Owls will definitely day hunt and will definitely carry the prey off if it wants too.....A Horned owl will carry a full size chicken with NO problem....So can a Red Tail Hawk......
Holwachagot

hawks weasles possums coons cats dogs lots of predators you can get poultry netting over the fence and a cam set up so sorry for you and your feathered friends

I caught an opossum in my trap today or last night. Thus far I have rid a bobcat and an opossum in about a week. I have not lost anymore hens lately. So, things are looking up.

leeloo11400, how is your trapping going? Were you able to identify your predator?

How is the new coop coming along. It won't be long before time for new chicks. Or do you plan to get pullets? Good luck and God bless you and your flock.

We have hawks and owls here that will get a chicken in the daytime and they aren't shy about it either. We were sitting on our back porch and watched a hawk come down and try to get one of our hens Through the chicken wire !!! She had a spot of blood on top of her head and was freaked out but she's ok. We've since fortified the run a little better. My neighbor had an owl come down and try to get one of his roosters. Daytime also.

We have hawks and owls here also. Last summer we had ducklings taken by a hawk in broad daylight . I was standing in our breakfast room and saw a hawk that frequented our area to swoop down and take away one of the ducklings from our back yard. We lost lots of ducklings last Summer. Some were lost to turtles on the water also. Predators are a fact of life. We have to keep on guard and protect our chickens and ducks as best we can. Good luck and God bless you and yours.

What is best to cover a 22x16 foot run? Chain link too expensive and heavy to support that distance, what will keep a coon out?

What is best to cover a 22x16 foot run? Chain link too expensive and heavy to support that distance, what will keep a coon out?
I have a 22x25' run that is covered over the top with 2x4" welded wire. Propped up easily with bamboo poles here and there. Not cheap and easy, but effective so far, and it is cheaper and easier than chain link. But I can't really say if any raccoons have tried to get through. Until proven otherwise, I trust 2x4" welded wire to deter the local predators. I have in on the sides too, with 1/2 hardware cloth buried in the ground. I think a 100' (5' high) roll of 2x4" welded wire would cover your run for... maybe... $100 or so.

I have a 22x25' run that is covered over the top with 2x4" welded wire. Propped up easily with bamboo poles here and there. Not cheap and easy, but effective so far, and it is cheaper and easier than chain link. But I can't really say if any raccoons have tried to get through. Until proven otherwise, I trust 2x4" welded wire to deter the local predators. I have in on the sides too, with 1/2 hardware cloth buried in the ground. I think a 100' (5' high) roll of 2x4" welded wire would cover your run for... maybe... $100 or so.
I'll look into it thank you

Back
Top Bottom