4 day old chick lethargic but sporadically 'popcorning'

shyBadger

Songster
5 Years
Sep 22, 2016
Merrimack, NH
I hatched out some Ameraucana chicks Saturday under a broody hen. I brought them in to a brooder Sunday morning, everyone was happy, eating/drinking/pooping. Yesterday afternoon, I noticed one of the chicks was breathing heavily and very lethargic. I have been making sure I get this chick to drink and I have given it some nutra- drench. It can stand and walk, but is weak. Not eating. It also randomly (seemingly uncontrollably) will jump into the air, landing in weird positions, sometimes on its back. Neurological issue? Breeder has never seen this before either. I can attempt to get a video when I get home. Any ideas? I'd appreciate any help

Video would be helpful. In the meantime I would treat for wry neck as it sounds like it could be neurological and vitamin deficiencies are not uncommon. Vitamin E, a tiny, tiny bit of selenium and a crumbled B complex tablet is what I would give.
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wry-neck.html

Thank you so much, I will grab these supplements on my way home and start treatment. Selenium can be bought in the vitamin section for humans or should I try a feed store?

Selenium can be gotten has human vitamins, all of them can. If you find an E with selenium in it use that, otherwise only give a tiny bit, selenium can be overdosed. The B's are water soluble, no risk of overdosing those.

Selenium can be gotten has human vitamins, all of them can. If you find an E with selenium in it use that, otherwise only give a tiny bit, selenium can be overdosed. The B's are water soluble, no risk of overdosing those.
Unfortunately there was no selenium or E + selenium. I'll go out later and search some other stores, just wanted to get something in the little. When I got home, the sick chick was at least standing and walking with the group. I picked it up and it went pretty limp .... Started doing the 'popcorning' when I placed it down again, wouldn't stand. I opened a vitamin E capsule and dropped some in its mouth then some drops of water. Chick seemed to peek up and I got it to peck at some food I am going to give it a rest and see how it is doing in a little while. Here's a video (none of the weird jumping though):

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!!

Eggs are a source of selenium, since it's a chick it may not eat cooked egg, you can try. If not you can mix a raw egg with some water and see if it will drink it. When they are this small I hold them in my hand, hand over the top, with my fingers going down and around. Position so the beak is resting in the crease of my finger and drip the fluid into the crease. It will run down to the beak and usually they will swallow. A little slow, but gets the job done. You can try dipping the beak to see if it will drink that way. I use raw egg yolk and water mixed when I have a weak chick that isn't eating on it's own. Glad it's looking a little better, hope it keeps improving.

Eggs are a source of selenium, since it's a chick it may not eat cooked egg, you can try. If not you can mix a raw egg with some water and see if it will drink it. When they are this small I hold them in my hand, hand over the top, with my fingers going down and around. Position so the beak is resting in the crease of my finger and drip the fluid into the crease. It will run down to the beak and usually they will swallow. A little slow, but gets the job done. You can try dipping the beak to see if it will drink that way. I use raw egg yolk and water mixed when I have a weak chick that isn't eating on it's own. Glad it's looking a little better, hope it keeps improving.
I've been giving the chick raw yolk mixed with vitamin E/b complex/water every couple of hours. Chick has pooped and been pecking at food in the brooder. After putting it away after the last feeding, it walked around, pecked in the feed trough, but then started doing this:
Lasted about 5 minutes total ... took a rest for a few minutes and is now walking/standing and breathing better (not gaping). If it always was as bad as in this video, I would think it's suffering was too much ... but then it seems like it is recovering. Ever seen anything like it?

I have not. I would continue the vitamins for a while to see what happens, personally.
Many would cull, so certainly that is up to you. I'm going to tag a few others to see if they have better/different opinions. It's a holiday, so not sure who will be available.
@Wyorp Rock , @Eggcessive , @Hen Pen Jem ,@EggSighted4Life

Sorry your chick is having issues. :(

Sounds like failure to thrive. They essentially never connect with the food correctly and slowly starve. I don't understand why mum was good enough to hatch them but not raise them. She would be showing it to eat and speaking it's language. :confused:

I suggest getting Poultry nutri drench and administering to the beak as suggested for the other supplements. It makes more difference than most other things I have tried as it also contains amino acids and doesn't have to be "digested" to get absorbed.

Coach is right, I might cull as I don't want any weakness breeding forward in my stock. But I would try the nutridrench first.

Some folks would do a tube feeding and there are threads on here with instructions for that. In my experience these chicks that don't really connect with food are slowly starving to death... no matter how much I run my finger through or pic up and tid bit for them or other chicks are happily eating up a storm, some just don't get it. :he

I agree the popcorn thing seem neurological.. but so many chemical connections in our brains are dependent upon specific vitamins and minerals and electrolytes... anything being out of whack (potassium, calcium, sodium, etc) can have serious effect... even on breathing.

4 days.. is a good amount of survival time that shows it's getting SOMETHING down, likely thanks to the keeper. I have some who will fail shortly after I stop supplements as I only offer the first water dish loaded with the nutrdrench and electrolytes.

:fl

Back
Top Bottom