4 day old chick lethargic but sporadically 'popcorning'

Greetings shyBadger,

After looking at your video, it does appear that your chick has a neurological disorder. Your chick has classic symptoms for Avian Encephalomyelitis, AKA, Epidemic Tremor. It is seen every now and then in a hatch. Of course there is no way to know for sure, without postmortem tissue testing.

Symptoms:
Some of the symptoms for Avian Encephalomyelitis are: Falling over, wings outstretched, gaping, incoordination, weakness.

Crazy Chick disease (Encephalomalacia), is a similar disorder. However, this disorder is caused by a vitamin E deficiency in the chick feed. Suggested treatment is vitamin A, E, & D. It commonly presents with symptoms at 2-4 weeks old. It can start to affect a chick, as early as, 1 week. But, since your chick is only 4 days old. I am leaning to Avian Encephalomyelitis (Epidemic Tremor).

Cause of Avian Encephalomyelitis (Epidemic Tremor):
It is caused by a virus (picornavirus) that is transmitted through the egg. The virus attacks the nervous system. It can also be transmitted through the droppings. So, you should put a barrier between the chick and its siblings. That way the sick chick can still see the others. This will also be helpful for the sick chick, as, it cannot compete for food and water, in its current condition. Sick chicks also often die, simply from being trampled by the other chicks.

Survival?
The chick has a chance of surviving this infection. Literature suggests that the virus will run its course in 2-3 weeks. This will require that you manually feed and water the chick, each day. Starvation is also a common cause of death in sick chicks, just as it is, in sick adult chickens.

If the the chick survives it will be immune to this virus, and will not be a carrier. However, the chicken may have poor feather quality, and possibly vision problems to deal with.

Treatment:
There is no medication or supplement that will kill a virus. The best you can do is keep the chick fed and hydrated, and warm, so that it's own immune system can fight it.

Electrolytes in the water may be beneficial for a week or two. Sav-A-Chick vitamin and electrolyte powder in the water is a good product. This water can also be mixed into the chick mash for feeding.
SVAC1.gif

Conclusion:
Since there are two possibilities as to what is ailing your chick, you will have to decide the best course of treatment. Diagnosing sick adult chickens is difficult, sick chicks are even harder.

I hatched a chick in September that had a neurological disorder. The vet had no idea what could be causing her problem. She would constantly fall asleep after walking a few steps. I thought she would die soon, because this affected her ability to eat and drink. I put her with a broody, along with her siblings. I gave extra feedings, manually. I wet her feed to also hydrate her, with the Save-A-Chick Electrolyte solution. I also, mixed the wet feed with a bit of apple sauce, once a day, for extra energy. She is all grown up now. She still falls asleep, everywhere and, she also gets startled easily, due to vision problems. But, she is laying eggs and doing quite well.

These are my thoughts on your chick's health issue, based on my experience and Chicken Health book literature.

I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

Thanks everyone who offered advice, very much appreciate you all taking the time. Sadly, the little chick was gone by this morning. Happily all the other chicks are zooming around and acting healthy.
I did not leave the chicks with the hen that brooded them because she only likes to sit in the best boxes off the ground. I have tried moving her in the past and it is a no go. She is consistently the best broody I have for hatching out eggs, duck eggs included, but she is too fancy for the ground

Couple of photos of my chicks to make this thread less sad:
OOSmyv2.jpg

BWQeghB.jpg

kihTzwP.jpg

OeS8FAm.jpg

0FmGWFL.jpg

EQXZJAF.jpg

MX9Fxof.jpg

bAjHdIX.jpg

Greetings shyBadger,

After looking at your video, it does appear that your chick has a neurological disorder. Your chick has classic symptoms for Avian Encephalomyelitis, AKA, Epidemic Tremor. It is seen every now and then in a hatch. Of course there is no way to know for sure, without postmortem tissue testing.

Symptoms:
Some of the symptoms for Avian Encephalomyelitis are: Falling over, wings outstretched, gaping, incoordination, weakness.

Crazy Chick disease (Encephalomalacia), is a similar disorder. However, this disorder is caused by a vitamin E deficiency in the chick feed. Suggested treatment is vitamin A, E, & D. It commonly presents with symptoms at 2-4 weeks old. It can start to affect a chick, as early as, 1 week. But, since your chick is only 4 days old. I am leaning to Avian Encephalomyelitis (Epidemic Tremor).

Cause of Avian Encephalomyelitis (Epidemic Tremor):
It is caused by a virus (picornavirus) that is transmitted through the egg. The virus attacks the nervous system. It can also be transmitted through the droppings. So, you should put a barrier between the chick and its siblings. That way the sick chick can still see the others. This will also be helpful for the sick chick, as, it cannot compete for food and water, in its current condition. Sick chicks also often die, simply from being trampled by the other chicks.

Survival?
The chick has a chance of surviving this infection. Literature suggests that the virus will run its course in 2-3 weeks. This will require that you manually feed and water the chick, each day. Starvation is also a common cause of death in sick chicks, just as it is, in sick adult chickens.

If the the chick survives it will be immune to this virus, and will not be a carrier. However, the chicken may have poor feather quality, and possibly vision problems to deal with.

Treatment:
There is no medication or supplement that will kill a virus. The best you can do is keep the chick fed and hydrated, and warm, so that it's own immune system can fight it.

Electrolytes in the water may be beneficial for a week or two. Sav-A-Chick vitamin and electrolyte powder in the water is a good product. This water can also be mixed into the chick mash for feeding.
SVAC1.gif

Conclusion:
Since there are two possibilities as to what is ailing your chick, you will have to decide the best course of treatment. Diagnosing sick adult chickens is difficult, sick chicks are even harder.

I hatched a chick in September that had a neurological disorder. The vet had no idea what could be causing her problem. She would constantly fall asleep after walking a few steps. I thought she would die soon, because this affected her ability to eat and drink. I put her with a broody, along with her siblings. I gave extra feedings, manually. I wet her feed to also hydrate her, with the Save-A-Chick Electrolyte solution. I also, mixed the wet feed with a bit of apple sauce, once a day, for extra energy. She is all grown up now. She still falls asleep, everywhere and, she also gets startled easily, due to vision problems. But, she is laying eggs and doing quite well.

These are my thoughts on your chick's health issue, based on my experience and Chicken Health book literature.

I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)
Thank you! I am going to switch the brooder out and sanitize everything in case this was a virus! I find it very interesting that your chick was falling asleep so quickly. My chick would be standing/walking, I'd pick it up and it was like it lost all of its energy almost instantly. I wonder if I should have an autopsy done, see if it was a virus? This information has been very helpful, thank you!

Thank you! I am going to switch the brooder out and sanitize everything in case this was a virus! I find it very interesting that your chick was falling asleep so quickly. My chick would be standing/walking, I'd pick it up and it was like it lost all of its energy almost instantly. I wonder if I should have an autopsy done, see if it was a virus? This information has been very helpful, thank you!

BTW, I am typing as an earthquake is in progress! Not a big one, but, you just never know when the "Big One" will hit...

Anyways, that chick was the second egg to hatch. I purchased the eggs from a breeder in Utah. Her sister passed away of a sudden heart attack at 9 months old. The vet diagnosed that death, due to a congenital heart problem, or a problem caused from rough handling during delivery. A CBC was run, just hours before her death. Some of the eggs did have air cell detachment, but, I went ahead and let them hatch. Looking back at my records, one of the CCL's, did have an air cell detachment, it could have been either one of these chicks.

There are so many things that can happen during development in the egg. As coach723 said, "sometimes they just aren't meant to be". Sometimes we keepers can learn from these deaths, sometimes, we're just left with questions.

The photos of your remaining chicks are great! Beautiful little ones! :love

Sorry your little one didn't make it. I lost one in the wee hours of this morning as well. :hugs

I had a second one I thought was going to pass as well, but I managed to save that one, so there's a little silver lining I guess.

Back
Top Bottom