4-H-er thread!

Pics
Thanks so much! I am in Michigan, so I think California is just too far to travel... but I appreciate the offer. Luckily some one just got back to me about bantam Cochins. That would be nice if I could have bantam and large of the same breed. 

Oh well! To bad you aren't closer! It would be great to meet all of you fellow 4hers!

I defiantly think that the large fowl are super difficult for showmanship! I say the smaller the better! LOL! I hope you get the Cochins and I want to se picture for sure!!@gracescochins

Ok I know you all are like woah! So many posts in such little time!

Ok, so believe it or not I have never shown poultry in showmanship! I have been raising them and know how to handle them but showmanship seems like a hard task! Any tips and/or tricks?

Ok, so believe it or not I have never shown poultry in showmanship! I have been raising them and know how to handle them but showmanship seems like a hard task! Any tips and/or tricks?

Know all the parts, many different breeds, and what class they are in along with colors. Be able to answer a lot of questions dealing with poultry, and be able to properly handle your bird

I will definitely post pics- it looks like I will get them in October. Showmanship is my favorite class! My advice is to really know your stuff. Memorize your breed and its varieties/acceptance date, and have a good understanding of what makes a good show bird. Look the judge in the eye and be confident. Not sure if your state has a 4H showmanship handbook but if it does learn everything in it! Each judge looks for something a little different, so develop your style and practice it a lot. I like to save my scorecards after a competition- it gives me pointers to practice on for next time. Good luck!

I will definitely post pics- it looks like I will get them in October. Showmanship is my favorite class! My advice is to really know your stuff. Memorize your breed and its varieties/acceptance date, and have a good understanding of what makes a good show bird. Look the judge in the eye and be confident. Not sure if your state has a 4H showmanship handbook but if it does learn everything in it! Each judge looks for something a little different, so develop your style and practice it a lot. I like to save my scorecards after a competition- it gives me pointers to practice on for next time. Good luck!
Have fun! I love Cochin bantams. What color are you getting?

Back
Top Bottom