4-H-er thread!

Pics
I think it depends on the club, but I've always thought 4-H taught a variety of useful skills other than animal-related ones. My club was very big on promoting community service and education. 4-H is how I got most of my community service hours actually. The whole club was always very involved in community service and we would always make it one of our yearly goals to reach a certain amount of volunteer hours. Leadership was also a big part of my club. Even when someone wasn't an officer we would still assign older members leadership tasks to gain experience. Every year my club would do a non-animal related educational display at the fair (usually environmental) and we would assign a member to coordinate it. I did this for about 3 years and I gained a lot of leadership and organizational skills through it. I also held various officer positions over the years. I don't know if I would have gained these leadership skills without 4-H. Every club is different, and some are very animal-focused, but I know my county, especially my rabbit club, was always big on promoting service, leadership, and other skills. We even have a public speaking requirement for every member.

Weird....that could not be further from my experience. It depends on the county, I guess.

Ah. I know there are such thing as magpie pigeons but have never heard of the ducks. I don't really do any other types of poultry besides LF chickens. At our fair there are only probably 5 ducks, if that, so the class is extremely easy to win let alone get reserve in.

Already preparing for 2018 or maybe even 2017 fairs!
1f60a.png

For county I'll take other birds too but this is just my cochin list

Already preparing for 2018 or maybe even 2017 fairs!
1f60a.png

For county I'll take other birds too but this is just my cochin list

Always good to be prepared. I generally never have no idea what I am going to take to shows. Whatever is in condition and I think has a shot I'll take.

This year I will actually be taking some poultry to the fair. :lol: I'm going to take market ducks. :) And my performance goats too along with a few miscellaneous projects.

My Cochins as of Wednesday

The black cockerel died last week...

Blue Hen

Blue Frizzle Cock

8 month blue pullet

Sorry about the cockerel, that stinks. :/ They're looking really nice! Good luck at the fair with them!

Back
Top Bottom