4-H-er thread!

Pics
Looking ahead to shows sales and swaps I have something every month until August!! Now if I can go to all of them
1f602.png
. And then I have September has at least 2 things and October has a show and November is the Ohio National where I might go to watch and maybe but some birds. And then I have a break until March 2018.

Last edited:
Looking ahead to shows sales and swaps I have something every month until August!! Now if I can go to all of them
1f602.png
. And then I have September has at least 2 things and October has a show and November is the Ohio National where I might go to watch and maybe but some birds. And then I have a break until March 2018.

Ohio is a nice show. I went last year. There are so many nice birds there to look at and to buy. For the most part everyone there is hardcore and brings some amazing birds, with the exception of some local people who bring hatchery quality stock.

Ohio is a nice show. I went last year. There are so many nice birds there to look at and to buy. For the most part everyone there is hardcore and brings some amazing birds, with the exception of some local people who bring hatchery quality stock. 

I can not wait to go! I am hoping I can pick up some good SQ birds

My kids show in 4h. Last year was our first year with poultry, showing Cochins, Maran, Phoenix, Dominique, basically a mixed bag of birds. This year my older son wants to show Phoenix mostly. My younger son will be in his first year so still figuring it out. They also show swine, goats (both dairy and meat), and rabbits. They're young so they won't be posting.
1f60a.png

My kids show in 4h. Last year was our first year with poultry, showing Cochins, Maran, Phoenix, Dominique, basically a mixed bag of birds. This year my older son wants to show Phoenix mostly. My younger son will be in his first year so still figuring it out. They also show swine, goats (both dairy and meat), and rabbits. They're young so they won't be posting.
1f60a.png

Cool! My tip would be focus on a few breeds otherwise you get worn out easily!

Cool! My tip would be focus on a few breeds otherwise you get worn out easily!

Thank you! We just showed the chickens that we had, so it was a bit scattered. He did win his class and reserve best of barn, but that was more beginner's luck than anything. We absolutely love it though!

Thank you! We just showed the chickens that we had, so it was a bit scattered. He did win his class and reserve best of barn, but that was more beginner's luck than anything. We absolutely love it though!

It is really fun! My first year i took a drake and duck both Pekins and a buff and Partridge Chantecler. Now i only do LF cochins and trio's for eggs and market

I can not wait to go! I am hoping I can pick up some good SQ birds

Just a tip: if you know exactly what you are looking for, make deals with breeders to pick up birds at the show in advance. You may see what you want and buy it in the sales area, but more often than not, the nicest birds are being sold "behind the scenes" to people who reserved them in advance and asked to pick them up at the show. The best breeders in the country go here, and sometimes you can arrange for them to bring you something.

If you're just going to see whats there and are open minded about what you might get, the sales area will surely have a nice variety of good quality birds to choose from.

Another tip, walk the aisles of the show, if you see a bird you like you can check the coop tag and look up the breeder and try and get in contact with them.

I will definitely be there for the 2017 show. Maybe I'll see you. But I doubt you'll find any of my birds up to par with some of the others
lau.gif

1f60a.png

Thats cool! I agree with layers, focus on a couple of breeds, it won't feel so overwhelming! I have 1 breed that I show right now, But I am hoping to add more! I show Swine (first year) Dairy goats (3rd year) And I will be showing meat goats this year, I am getting my goat in the next couple months!

The Oberhasli Doe I bred back in october is in labor, Babies should be coming within the next 24 hours, I am trying to let her do her thing, But she is a veteran mama, third year kidding, and fantastically easy births, Missed the last one completely! I Will post pictures of babies and pigs when That happens!

Just a tip: if you know exactly what you are looking for, make deals with breeders to pick up birds at the show in advance. You may see what you want and buy it in the sales area, but more often than not, the nicest birds are being sold "behind the scenes" to people who reserved them in advance and asked to pick them up at the show. The best breeders in the country go here, and sometimes you can arrange for them to bring you something. 

If you're just going to see whats there and are open minded about what you might get, the sales area will surely have a nice variety of good quality birds to choose from.

Another tip, walk the aisles of the show, if you see a bird you like you can check the coop tag and look up the breeder and try and get in contact with them. 

I will definitely be there for the 2017 show. Maybe I'll see you. But I doubt you'll find any of my birds up to par with some of the others :lau

I'm Hoping I can bring some birds bht i doubt it
1f602.png
. That's something i will definently look into thanks !

Back
Top Bottom