4 Huge Roosters

britsbantams

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
College Station, TX
I dont know what else to do besides make an awkwardness between me and me neighbor... She recently got into raising chickens but her whole flock has revealed themselves as roosters. Not too mention, large monster size roosters! Problem... I have 11 bantam hens and only one rooster. The poor little guy tries to protect his ladies but he is out numbered and way smaller.
I breed my chickens and definitely don't want to end up mixing with her unknowns... and they come over and eat up my feed. Unfortunately I have had to resort to throwing small pebbles at them to make them leave because chasing them off does nothing. Is it wrong for me to ask her to cage her roosters or build them a run? Mine DO NOT go to her house but her roosters are at mine everyday!

It should be the same as if her dogs were coming over daily. She has to keep them on her land and you have every right to request that she contain them or you'll be forced to take other measures. I however would stop throwing rocks at them, that is just going to get you in trouble. Can you keep yours in a pen until she locks hers up? She is nuts for keeping 4 roosters anyways

As the poet once wrote, good fences make good neighbors! If she won't put one up to keep her roos in, you may have to put one up to keep her roos out. Of course, if they decide to fly over the fence, you'll need to put a large dog on your side too!

I would simply put the emphasis on the fact you are a breeder and can't have any accidental interactions with the visiting roosters so would she be able to keep them away. The feed and trespassing are issues could get her defensive, upsetting a breeding program is the gentle way to broach it.

I Think that's a perfectly reasonable request and if she won't comply I'd no longer worry about trying not to upset her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom