4 month old chick having seizures??

3eggeaters

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
central washington state
My 4 month old buff Orp. started having seizures yesterday. She is otherwise healthy, still eating, drinking, and growing like the others. About a month and a half ago she was having some problems walking, kept tipping over sideways. I got some different food that my local store recommended and that seemed to work. Not sure if the two issues are related or not. We have still been feeding her the special chick food with extra additives... The seizures last only about 10 seconds but she has them pretty frequently (falls down, starts shaking, then kind of scratches at her face a bit, then legs get very rigid). Any ideas what might be wrong and solutions? Thank you.

I had a Lovebird once that started having seizures at the age of 2 years old. They were horrible on her, causing her to fall over to one side as you described and stiffened up really badly. She started having them once or twice a week for months. They terrified her to death. Then afterwards, she would sleep for at least 2 days being so exhausted. It was suggested that I try getting her to ingest vinegar. Regular vinegar. Well there was no way she was going to drink this stuff. She loved to play inside of paper bags and would chase your finger, like a cat would thru a hole in the bag. So I stuck a pickle drenched in vinegar thru the hole and of course she got a good dose of it. I did this for one week and you know, the seizures stopped! So I started putting Apple Cider Vinegar in her water and the seizures back off to only a few times a year. Even a few years where she didn't have any at all. I also started in with vitamins in her water, even though she was on a good pellet diet. I eventually back off on the daily vinegar treatments to a few times a week.

I am no doctor and I have no idea if it will cure your baby Orp, but it couldn't hurt to try. Put 1 tablespoon of ACV per quart of water. Mix a new batch everyday. All the chickens can drink it, ACV does wonders for the overall health of the birds.

Good luck with your baby.
smile.png

The poor thing seems to be having them quite frequently!
sad.png
They only last 10 to 15 seconds but are quite violent with a lot of flapping of wings, head down to ground, and turning around in backwards circles. She has them anywhere from 2 minutes apart to a couple hours. If anyone has any suggestions PLEASE ADVISE???

Back
Top Bottom